Thursday, September 17, 2020

The Time Travelers' Club: Chapter 72 -- Sam's Mom

At that moment, Vincent came into the room.  He grinned at Sam, then bent down and whispered something in Dr. Herkeimer's ear. The Doctor raised his eyebrows.

"Aha, that is interesting news. We might be able to use her to our benefit." The Doctor got up. "You remain here, Mr. Henry. Don't bother to try and escape. The house is well guarded. Besides, we have a surprise for you."

Vincent had walked back to the open door with the Doctor right behind him.

Just as he was leaving, Dr. Herkeimer turned. "My dear Mr. Henry, I am sure that you will be willing to talk soon. But first, we'll talk to your Mother."

The Doctor banged the door shut. The lock clicked. Without hesitation, Sam ran over to the door and tried the knob. It didn't budge. He pressed his ear against the door. There was silence on the other side.

Sam tried once again the spell that took him home, but it didn't work.

"Why isn't working?  I've got to get Mrs. Steers."   Sam tried the spell two more times with no success.

Glancing around the room, he ran over to the drapes.  The windows behind them were locked.  He moved to the other side of the room near the doors.  He tried the windows on that side of the room.  They were locked, too.  Just as he was about the check the last one, he heard loud voices in the hall.  He ran back over to listen.

On the other side, he could hear his Mom's voice in a broken conversation. Dr. Herkeimer's mumbled voice could be heard between her responses.

"Yes, I'm Emily Henry."

A muffled voice spoke.

"My son is Sam. Is he here?"

The muffled voice spoke again.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

The muffled voice became clear.  It was the Doctor.  "You know what I am talking about.   You will give me the information otherwise your precious boy will.   I have my ways."

Sam heard a loud slap. A woman screamed, followed by a heavy thump on the floor.

"That's for not telling me what I want know," said Dr. Herkeimer.

Sam grabbed and pulled on the unmoving knob, struggling to pull open the door. He became frantic and yelling.

"Let me out! Don't you dare hurt my Mom!"

Without notice, there was a heavy bang on the door. "Quiet in there," said Bruno. "We'll be back to you."

Slaps, screams, cries, and raised voices continued out in the hall.

Sam stepped back from the door and started crying. Eventually, he crumbled to the floor.

On the other side of the door, Dreda silently faked a laugh, holding her hands over her mouth.  Dr. Herkeimer paced a few steps back and forth.

"Do you think it worked?"  Dreda whispered, snickering.  "I think I did a great imitation of his dear old Mum."

Despite her participation, Dreda thought to herself how much she hated the play-acting she had to do, keeping the Doctor thinking she was on his side.  I can't believe I am doing this.  This is unfair.   I must keep pretending.

"You did fine," said the Doctor.  "We will check on him later.  I will break his spirit first before moving to his mind."

1 comment:

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...