Monday, October 5, 2020

The Time Travelers' Club -- Chapter 80: Not Over Yet

Dr. Herkeimer sat fuming.  Dreda stood as far away from him as she could.

"I am disappointed and furious over this."  The Doctor sat in his chair.  The face at the top stared down at them. Its eyes had turned red.

The Doctor glanced over at Fan.  "And where were you?"

Fan bowed.  "I was doing what I was told to do.  I followed Mr. Steers to seek out the location of the book dealer's shop.  Just as you asked me."  The last words Fan emphasized in the Doctor's direction.

Vincent spoke up nervously.   "And I was in the garden reading about the caves of Fingal.  I was preparing my report for you..."

"Oh, shut up, you dribbling jackass."  The Doctor shouted.  Vincent took several steps back.

Bruno was busy repairing the broken windows from the outside.   He felt the bump on the back of his head where he had been hit.

Dreda didn't speak, not even paying attention to the Doctor.  The same thoughts ran through her head.  I shouldn't have... I shouldn't have...  Albert... I'm sorry...

"Well, if it's any conciliation," said Farkas.  "I figured out a big part of the potions in the back of the book despite the fact that none of them are complete..."

"And you let one of them get burnt up," said the Doctor, fury in his eyes as he stared at Farkas.  Bowing and stepping towards the door, Farkas excused himself and returned to the laboratory in the basement.

"Get me that damn brat!  Leave me!"   Dreda, Vincent, and Tinean scurried out of the room.

Tinean was the last one out.  "I have the information you asked for.  I was out doing as I was told.  Let me know when you want it."  Despite being mean and vicious, Tinean kept his voice low and calm.   Immediately out in the hallway, he staggered upstairs taking a swig from his flask.

"Drunk as usual..." Dreda muttered as she watched him.  "I've got to do something.  Hmmm... Daddy will know what to do."   She disappeared.

Alone, the Doctor leaned back in his chair.  He placed his head in hands, then he got up and walked over to the chest, the same on Sam was curious about.

"I promise.  I promise you.  I will make things right."  Dr. Herkeimer opened the chest, the one with his initials on the silver plaque. Reaching down inside it, he picked up the present wrapped in faded green paper with what was left of blue bow.  He felt guilt.  He cried.

1 comment:

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...