Sunday, June 14, 2020

The Time Travelers' Club: Chapter 48 -- In Deep Thought

Sam reappeared in his chair in the back parlor. Mrs. Steers arrived a few moments later with a puzzled look on her face.

Xavier peeked up over the back edge of the sofa in the front parlor and watched Mrs. Steers get up from her chair and go into the kitchen.  Sam slumped back in his chair, fanning himself with his notebook trying to cool off from the heat of the desert.

"Sam, my dear boy. Where have you been?  Seeing something interesting?"

Sam jumped, looking around to see where the voice came from.  He spied Xavier peering over the back of the sofa.  He went into the front parlor.

"Hanging out in Ancient Egypt. We saw the Pyramid of Khufu being built."  He said it like it was just an ordinary day.

Xavier glanced towards the kitchen. "What’s up with Lottie?"

Sam glanced over his shoulder. Sam shrugged his shoulders.  "I don’t know. She wasn’t upset when I left her.  Something must've happened."  Sam glanced towards the kitchen again, before sitting down in the overstuffed.

"How long have you been in the club?" said Sam.

Xavier sat up, adjusted his red velvet vest. "Since I was about your age.   I was twelve when I first learned about the Club.  My Uncle was a member, but he’s been retired from it for several years.  I fondly remember our first trip.  He took me to see the San Francisco earthquake."

Shaking his head, Xavier stood up and slipped on his purple velvet jacket. "I had never seen anything like it. Buildings crumbling. Everything was shaking.  Fires breaking out.  Not that I was fond of the scene, mind you.   I was fond of my first trip, but not the scene."

Xavier shook his head as if reliving the horrific scene right then and there.  "I felt so bad for them.  It was awful.  Everyone was just running in different directions.   Screaming.  Praying.  Crying.  I went back several times after that and watched them rebuild their city.   I loved that part.  San Francisco became my favorite city in the world."

Sam listened attentively.  "Could we go sometime?"

Xavier shrugged.  "I don’t know.  You should stick with Lottie for your basic training."

Not wanting to make Sam uncomfortable, Xavier thought to himself.  Sorry Sam, I don’t like kids.

Xavier had never fit in at the boys’ school.  Uninterested in sports, he preferred to write and direct school plays, make the costumes, and dress like characters from Dickens' novels.  The other boys teased him about being different.

"Xavy baby" sometimes rang out in his head whenever he adjusted his tie or shirt collar in the mirror.  He could still hear the other boys in the hallways. "Whadda ya doin’ today?  Writin’ a play where you’ll be playin’ all the girls?"  Boys can be harsh.  Xavier got his revenge later when he "accidently" put a strong powdered concoction in the mashed potatoes at lunch.  The bullies spent much of the afternoon in the bathroom.

Mrs. Steers came into the parlor.  Her mind obviously elsewhere.  She paid no attention to Sam or Xavier.

"Lottie.  What’s the matter?" 

"Sam, why don’t you go home and work on your next report," said Mrs. Steers.

"But I haven’t got my next..."

"Um, Sam," said Xavier. "I think you better be on your way."

Smiling at Sam, Xavier walked him into the hallway. Xavier whispered. "Don’t worry, Sam. I don’t think it’s you. Lottie’s got something on her mind. I’ve seen that look before. Something’s happened and I need to find out what."

Sam could see Mrs. Steers sit down in one of the chairs and stare at the blazing fire in the fireplace.

"Why don’t you come back later?  Take a nap.  You'll be less likely to get sick this time if you get some rest."

"I’ll come back later." Sam went up the stairs. 

Xavier walked into the parlor. "Lottie?  What is it?"

She didn’t answer.

Xavier leaned down and whispered in her ear. "Lottie?  Where are you?"

She gave no response.  Finally, Xavier sat down in the other wing-backed chair to wait.  He knew her.  She would start talking soon.

"Xavier."  Her voice was soft and quite.  "I just got some interesting news from the West Coast chapter.  I can’t believe it.  After all these years.  After all these years."

Xavier leaned forward.  "Is it about the Doctor?"

"No," she replied softly. "But it's something you'll like."

1 comment:

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...