Sunday, January 3, 2021

The Time Travelers' Club -- Chapter 103: Keeping Up the Lies

“Enough of this,” exclaimed Dr. Herkeimer, sitting in his chair, the one with the scowling face.  His hands held tight to the arms. “It’s time to go full force into the heart of The Time Travelers Club.”

“What’re we going to do?” said Tinean.  “I hope it’s something nasty… and deadly.”

“They have come into our den, now it is our turn,” said Dr. Herkeimer, staring straight forward, not looking at anyone.  “I will get my copy and any other copy of the book I find.  Even it means pulling them out of that dead old woman’s hands…  Or the runt’s hands.” 

Vincent gasped.  Fan stood steadfast.  They could see that the Doctor’s anger was swelling. After discovering Fulop’s betrayal in taking the book, Doctor Herkeimer had used up all his strength to control himself.

“And if Farkas is there, he will also know the consequences of desertion.  His death will be agonizing.”

Dreda once again challenged the Doctor’s plan, wanting assurance that it was full-proof.  She sat in her usual spot on the sofa.  “And have you thought about whether the books are actually kept there?”

“You always seem to question me,” shouted the Doctor at her then glanced over at Tinean.  “Have you no confidence my plans.”

Dr. Herkeimer motioned for Tinean.  He grabbed Dreda from behind.  She dug her fingernails into his hairy tattooed arm.

“Just so you know, I enjoy the pain,” hissed Tinean into her ear, tightening his grip even more as she struggled.

“I have no other allegiance.”  Dreda choked, glaring at the Doctor.  “They killed my husband.  You were the one who showed me the proof.”

Dr. Herkeimer grinned menacingly.  “But my dear, you’ve been visiting your sister.  Do you take me for a fool?  You have been telling them our plans.”

“Not true,” rebuffed Dreda.  “She’s always butting in, trying to find out what she can.  But I’ve told her lies to keep your mission a secret.  I want us to succeed”

“Then, do tell me what you and your little sister talked about?”

“She keeps trying to convince me that you killed my husband” said Dreda.  “That I should go back and see for myself, but why should I?”

“As I have told you over and over… I personally went back and watched.  He died at the hands of a member of The Time Travelers Club.”  Dr. Herkeimer nodded at Tinean.  He let go of her. Dreda rubbed her neck then straightened her clothes and hair.

Dr. Herkeimer’s smiled as he reassured her.  “You must believe me.”   He walked her to the door.  “Now, why don’t you go rest a while and compose yourself?  All will be well.”

Dreda left the room and went upstairs.  Watching her, Dr. Herkeimer slowly closed the door.  He stood silent for a moment.  "Fan. Vincent. Please leave us."

"Any instructions?" asked Fan. "I am waiting to know what you want me to do next."

Dr. Herkeimer brushed him away.  "Not at this time.  Oh, Vincent, would you please make me some lunch?"

Vincent and Fan left the room

“That was quite a lie,” hissed Tinean.  An evil grin formed on his face.  “Got her to believe you once again.”

“Shut your mouth.”  The Doctor gritted his teeth and massaged his neck.  “I worry that I may be losing her.  I worry she will find out the truth.  She is one of our hopes for getting the books.  That stupid sister of hers will be useful to us if we can get her.”

Dr. Herkeimer walked towards the fireplace.

Tinean slinked along behind him.  “Can I slit her open?”

Dr. Herkeimer was repulsed by Tinean’s blunt statement.  “We are not in this to kill everyone.  I just want to make things right.  Understand?”

Tinean backed off.  "Yes, I do."  He then thought to himself.  Even though you keep changing your damn mind.  One minute it's kill everyone, then kill no one.

Dr. Herkeimer sat down in his chair, speaking softly to himself.  “I want to make it all right.”

“I’ll be outside if you need me,” said Tinean, not sure whether Dr. Herkeimer actually heard him.  Closing the door behind him, Tinean went outside to practice his knife throwing.

In the kitchen, Vincent was preparing lunch.  He had gone to the pantry to get a bottle of vinegar.  What he found on the shelf, he now held in his hand.  A bottle of rat poison.

“I could easily add it to the soup…”

Upstairs, Dreda stretched out on her bed.  “What am I doing?”  She chewed on her fingernails.  “Why do I care about the Doctor and his stupid plan for whatever?”


1 comment:

  1. rat poison for a rat? The rats are coming home to roost - or some such saying!

    ReplyDelete

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...