Sunday, December 22, 2019

The Time Travelers' Club: Chapter 5 -- An Idle Conversation

The school day passed quickly. The sun shone bright and short gusts of wind swirled the fallen leaves on the ground.  Sam felt confident about his spelling test but had new homework due the next day.   Fractions!

Reaching the front of the house, he could hear a squeaking noise.  On the porch, Mrs. Steers rocked back and forth in her favorite rocking chair. Her metal knitting needles click-clacked as she worked blue and green yarns into what appeared to be a scarf.

"Good afternoon, Sam.  How was school today?"

"Okay, thank you," said Sam, arriving at the top step. 

"I had a great talk with your Mom the other day about her books.   She's a very good writer who needs the right publisher.  Do you like the apartment?"

"It's nice. I like the view of the park across the street.  I can see it from my bedroom window.  I'm also glad you're willing to help my Mom.  She writes and writes but never has any luck with the publishers.” 

Sam, trying to be polite, said goodbye. and headed towards the screen door to their apartment.  He wanted his favorite after school snack -- a peanut butter and strawberry jelly sandwich.

"That's nice to hear, Sam," said Mrs. Steers.  "Would you like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, Sam?  It's your favorite -- strawberry."  Sam spun around and looked at her.  "I prepared it for you."
On a plate on the side table next to her laid a perfect peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  He couldn't believe it.

"What?  How did you know strawberry was my favorite?  Did my Mom tell you?"

"A lucky guess. I know it's strange for me to offer, but I thought it might give us a chance to visit."
Sam pondered for a moment before taking her up on her offer and sat in the chair next to her.  After a conversation about school, Mrs. Steers asked him what he liked to read.  They enjoyed many of the same favorite authors and books.

"I love to read some of the latest novels," said Mrs. Steers.  "There are many good books being published these days, but I'm partial to mysteries, tales of suspense, and anything that has wizardry.  I have stacks of books all over the place."

"My books used to be stacked," said Sam.  "They're organized now. Alphabetical by author then title.  Just like a real library."

"Good for you.  I've always enjoyed reading.  Albert was a voracious reader.  History, biographies, travel guides...  you name it."

"Albert and I have one thing in common," said Sam.
"Really.  What's that?"

"I like travel guides, too." Sam finished the last bites of the sandwich and talked with his mouth full.  "My dad moved us a lot.  I got to see a lot of places.  One day in math class, some of the other boys were talking about their trips to summer camp.  I tried to talk about my trip to Mount Rushmore with my parents."  Sam stopped and looked disheartened.

"They didn't care about Mount Rushmore?" said Mrs. Steers.  Sam shrugged and shook his head.
"They called me a B.F.L.”  Sam stared at his shoes, scuffing them on the porch floor.

"B.F.L?  What's that?"

"Big fat loser."  Sam sighed, believing it sometimes to be true.

"That's rude!" Mrs. Steers shook her head.  "Don't even think about that.  Why don't you tell me about other places you've been? We'll see if you've been to any place I've been."

"Other than Mount Rushmore, I've been to San Francisco."

"Loved it.  Both before and after the earthquake."  Mrs. Steers returned to her knitting.

"What earthquake?" said Sam.

Mrs. Steers knocked her ball of yarn off her lap.  It rolled to the edge of the porch.  Sam ran after it and caught it before it dropped over the edge.

"Thank you, Sam.  That was a close call."  She took the ball and rerolled the yarn.  "Have you ever been to Baltimore?  Edgar Allen Poe is buried there."

"Nope.  We did go to a cemetery in Boston and I saw where Mother Goose is buried."

"That's right, she is buried there.  I wonder what she really looked like."   Mrs. Steers paused.  "Note to self. Look for sketch of the real Mother Goose."

"Well, I have homework to do. My mom will be home soon.  Thank you for the sandwich, Mrs. Steers."

Mrs. Steers smiled. "You're welcome. Maybe we can talk again soon. I'd like to hear more about your travels.   And never mind those other boys.  They're just jealous.  They probably have no idea what Mount Rushmore is."

"Really?  You think so."

"I know so," said Mrs. Steers. "Sometime you will have to show me your photo albums.  I bet you have lots of great photos of places you've been."

"Sure."  Sam walked to the screen door then ran up the stairs.  Excited, Sam had found someone to talk about traveling.  Nobody else cared about his adventures.  Sam had tried talking to his mom a couple of times, but she passed saying "Maybe later."  Sam knew it was hard for her.   His dad's death had changed their world.   Now, Sam only had the photo albums and travel books to remind him of what life was like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...