Sunday, June 7, 2020

The Time Travelers' Club: Chapter 46 -- Practice Time

Sam looked outside at the dusting of snow.  This Saturday was going to be another indoor day.   With his Mom being gone for the biggest part of the day, Sam knew that Mrs. Steers was in charge.

"I'm going to be at the library all day,” said Emily.  “It's our biggest fundraiser of the year.  Well... I shouldn't call it that.  We are wooing the city council and many patrons with the big bucks."

"You'll be glad to know I already gave my donation,” said Mrs. Steers.  "You go have fun.  Sam and I have big plans.  Don't we, Sam?"

The cuckoo sang out nine times.

"Thanks for watching Sam.  I hope he's not a bother."

Mrs. Steers hurried Emily to the door.  "Don't worry.  Sam and I are going to have some great fun."

"I'll be home about 4ish.  Bye."  Out the door she went.

Mrs. Steers turned to Sam.  "Whew.  Well, she's off. Where to?" asked Mrs. Steers.

"I've been reading about the Pyramids of Giza in Ancient Egypt.  That's what we're studying in class now.  I'm sure we'll have another report to do, so I might as well get working on it."

"Ah, the Pyramids.  I do love them.  I've already seen them being built, but you haven’t, and I never turn down the opportunity to see some great history again."

Sam ran to his room and got his travel bag from the back of the door.  Mrs. Steers went through the laundry room into her part of the house with Sam right on her heels.

"Albert and I used to travel to our favorite places over and over."  Mrs. Steers reminisced as they walked down the stairs.  "We must have visited the building of the Eiffel Tower at least four times.   Albert and I got to know so many secrets.   Ever heard of John Dillinger?"

"Yes." Sam nodded.

"He buried a million dollars of gold bars in some woods along the Michigan and Wisconsin state borders.  Treasures hunters have tried to find it for years.  Guess who knows where it's really buried?" Mrs. Steers winked and pointed at herself.

"Really? You know where it's buried?"

"Sure do." She teased him. "And don't ask.  I won't tell. Don't worry, Sam.  You'll be so full of secrets you might burst at the seams."

They entered the back parlor and took their seats.  Mrs. Steers glanced over at Sam's clothes.

"I think we are suitably dressed for the desert. Oh wait, my travel bag."   She got up and grabbed it from a side chair.

"Oh, and a travel guide." Scanning her shelves, she pulled off a small book.  "Looks like the best one I've got is one from 1969.  It will serve our purpose."

Sitting back down, Mrs. Steers snuggled into her chair.  "And we're off.  Let's hear those words, Sam.  You've been practicing, I hope.  Remember to think of the exact time and place."

"Ok.  The Pyramids of Giza.  And let's say... let's say..."  Sam tried to remember when they were built.  "Let me check my notebook."

Sam pulled his red journal out of his bag.  It contained the notes about Jack the Ripper and London, but he also written a list of places, events, and people he wanted to see, making sure to make a note of years as well.

Mrs. Steers peered over at the list.  "Hmmm...  I see you've been thinking about your time-travel schedule. Remind me to show you my list sometime."

Sam was embarrassed but didn't care.  While at school, he had thought of all the places he wanted to go and started jotting them down.

"We're going to 2562 B.C.  How about February 10?  They should be building the Pyramid of Khufu.  I read about him the other day.  That ones the oldest and the largest of them.  That day might put us right in the middle of the time they were being built."

Mrs. Steers put her hand on Sam's arm and gave a little squeeze.  "Very good.  And now we're off."

At night when Sam couldn't sleep, he had memorized the time traveling incantation.  Eyes closed, preparing for the whirling and twirling feeling, he spoke the incantation twice while trying to concentrate on the Pyramids and the date.  

By the time he started the third round, he felt a hot dry wind hit his face and it got very bright. He squinted his eyes tighter to avoid the blinding light.   Finally, he put his hand over them.  He felt like he was standing upright.  Mrs. Steers squeezed his arm harder, almost hurting.

Mrs. Steers spoke with a stunned tone.  "My word...  I can't believe it...  It's not possible...”


1 comment:

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...