Sunday, September 20, 2020

The Time Travelers' Club -- Chapter 73: Where's Sam?

"And here we are.  Back home safe and sound."  Mrs. Steers went into her kitchen, followed by Ari, Rose, and Xavier.   "The International Council meeting went very well."

The Eastern Chapter of the Time Savers Club had meet with the International Council at request of the council's head, Rufus Leightstone, at his home in Canada.  The meeting was brief, but important.

Only an hour before, Leightstone focused on Mrs. Steers as she spoke.  "I am sure he's the one.   He must be.  The orb that he made was outstanding."

Rose added.  "I've never seen anything like it before."

Leightstone, in a dignified air, handed the report over to another council member.   "We believe you are right and will send out an announcement after the fact.  Please go forward.  It is imperative that Dr. Herkeimer be stopped."   He turned to Trenda.

"It's my understanding that you and the West Coast group are willing to assist."

Trenda nodded his head. "Not a problem."

The meeting ended and everyone departed.  And now, the club sat around the Steers' kitchen table was talking about what to do next.

"Like there were any doubts," said Albert, who appeared from the back parlor.  "You did thorough research."

"Well, I had my doubts.  Especially after I went from the archives directly to headquarters.  I thought for sure I had everything in it."  Mrs. Steers slapped herself lightly on her cheek.  "I'm glad they didn't want any more research."

Albert kissed her forehead.  "You did well, no doubt.  I'm off to Jameson's.   Anyone need anything?"

"I'm starving.  I could use some food," interjected Ari.  "I hope there's something to eat."

"I can't help you with that.  You're on your own."  Albert disappeared.

"I will whip up something for us," said Xavier.

Meanwhile, Rose and Mrs. Steers went into the front parlor and sat down on the couch.

"Now what?" said Rose.

"I'm thinking we need to..."  Mrs. Steers was stopped by someone ringing the doorbell.

It was Emily.

"Mrs. Steers, have you seen Sam? I can’t find him anywhere." She nervously fiddled with the buttons on her sweater.

"I can’t say that I have." Mrs. Steers led Emily to the front parlor. "Oh, Rose, this is Sam’s Mom, Emily."

Rose got up. "Nice to meet you.  Your boy is such a sweetheart."

Despite her kindness, Emily didn’t pay close attention to Rose’s compliment. "I can’t find Sam. He’s not home. I’ve called the library. I've called Bon's.  He’s not there. You’re sure he’s not with you here?"

Mrs. Steers took quick action. "Rose, you check the upstairs." Out in the hallway, Ari was on his way to the parlor.  Mrs. Steers questioned them.  "Have you seen Sam?"  Ari shook his head.

Standing in the front parlor, Emily teared up. "If he’s not here, then... I’ve got to call the police."  She reached for the nearby telephone.

"Wait," said Mrs. Steers, stopping Emily. "Let's not panic.  Let me think first. Rose, get me a glass of water."

Mrs. Steers grabbed a wooden box on a side table.  From inside, she pulled out a glass vile of a reddish liquid.  Mrs. Steers mixed it in the glass of water Rose had brought from the kitchen.

"Here Emily, please drink this. It will calm your nerves, then we can call the police."

"What is it?" Emily studied the liquid.

"It’s just a little brandy. Trust me."

Emily drank it and scrunched her face. "Yuck. It doesn't taste like brandy."

Mrs. Steers glanced at Ari with a "be ready" look. Emily began to sway, then nodded off. Ari grabbed her as she fell to the side, helping her onto the couch.

"Oh, I did hate doing that to her, poor dear." Mrs. Steers rung her hands. "I just hate using that stuff. But for the moment, it’s for the best."

Rose had come back into the parlor, looking down at Emily. "I didn’t bother looking upstairs. I’m already ahead of you. The Doctor, yes?"

"I’m sure of it. They’ve got him. I don’t know how, but I..."

Before she could finish, Xavier spoke up. "I know. Look at this."

Xavier held up the note. "I saw this on the back-parlor floor and didn’t think anything of it. But it’s a note signed 'Mrs. S' instructing Sam to come to Baltimore in 1848."

Taking the note, Mrs. Steers gasped after reading it. "That’s not my writing. I never use ‘Mrs. S’. Poor Sam was tricked. Someone left this note for him."

 Mrs. Steers began to pace in a circle.  "Sam was interested in Poe. What are we going to do?"

Xavier took control. "We need to organize. Lottie, you get Albert. Ari and Rose, you get Trenda. I am going to get Uncle Griff. Both Albert and Uncle Griff have been in the Doctor's house.  If we’re going after the Doctor to get Sam, back, we’re going to need all the help we can get. Let’s meet back here in fifteen minutes."

Everyone stared at Xavier, surprised by this sudden display of leadership.  A trait that Xavier didn't show much.

Ari saluted.

Everyone disappeared, leaving Emily asleep on the sofa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...