Sunday, December 6, 2020

The Time Travelers' Club -- Chapter 96: Who Killed Who?

Dreda was glad to be away from the Doctor. She meandered down a deserted country lane towards a church yard.  There was nothing for miles except for the church ahead. She ran her hand along the fieldstone wall of the churchyard.  The stones were rough.

When she approached the graveyard next to the stone church, she could see the name Caligar chiseled into a nearby plain tombstone.

Through a metal gate in the fence, Dreda walked over to the tombstone, already crying when she reached it.  Pavel Caligar was twenty-one at the time he was killed.  She was too young to be a widow.  She blamed The Time Travelers Club.

“They can deny it all they want,” wept Dreda.  “Deny it all they want.”  She sat down in front of the headstone.  She ran her fingers across the Pavel’s engraved name. “Someone in the Club killed you and I will find out which one and they will pay.”

Leaning against the headstone, Dreda dried her eyes.  The quiet of the cemetery gave her peace, but her hatred still thrived.  It had been growing over the past two years since Pavel’s death.  Naturally, her parents had supported her as best they could, but they were too committed to their own lives.

“I thought I might find you here,” said a voice from behind her.  Walking around a nearby headstone came a caped figure.  It was Rose.  “You come here very often.  I’ve watched you.”

“It’s not polite to spy on people,” said Dreda.

“That’s a laugh coming from you.  I know you’ve been telling Dr. Herkeimer about our movements and plans.  You’ve already gotten yourself into deep trouble with the International Council.  They could strip you of your abilities.”

“Isn’t that nice,” retorted Dreda.  “One of your so-called friends killed my Pavel and now I’m the bad person.”

“It wasn’t a member of the Club.”  Rose responded firmly.  “That’s not the nature of the Club.  Did it ever occur to you that it might have been someone else?  I’ve pleaded with you numerous times to go back and see for yourself!”

“Don’t talk to me about going back to watch my Pavel die!”  Dreda’s rage boiled.  She leapt up from the ground and stormed towards Rose.  “I’ve suffered a great loss.  It was my husband.  What do you know about it?”

Before Rose knew it, Dreda had grabbed her arm, twisting it. Rose felt the pain of Dreda’s grip and tried to get loose by kicking Dreda in the shin.  Dreda let go of Rose’s arm and staggered backwards.

After regaining her balance, Dreda leapt at Rose again. Rose wasn’t prepared for Dreda to fly directly at her, so she fell on her back.  Dreda straddled her. Rose grabbed Dreda by the wrists and tugged her sideways.  Falling off, Dreda now found herself being straddled by Rose.

“You are something.”  Rose was harsh.  “You never listen to anyone.”

Dreda stopped struggling and stared up at Rose.  “You’ve always been the favorite.  You never did anything wrong.”

Letting go of Dreda, Rose got up and walked several feet away.  Dreda pulled herself up from the ground and took several steps in the opposite direction.

“You were always the favorite,” shouted Dreda.   “You always got what you wanted.  And when I found my chance at happiness, one of your friends took him away.”  Dreda lost control and screamed.

Unwilling to back down, Rose yelled back.  “I’ve seen the real murderer!  I went back and watched.  Your husband died a hero for the Club.  He saved several children’s lives.  The very person you work for had him killed. Why won’t you believe me?”

Dreda fell to her knees in front of Pavel's headstone.  “I don’t believe you.  It’s not true.”

Unlike the last time they met in the cemetery, Rose wasn’t going to back down.  “You have got to go back and see for yourself!”

Dreda shook her head.  “No!  I won’t.  You cannot make me.  Just who do you think you are?  How dare you!”

Dreda’s anger skyrocketed.  She jumped up from where she was kneeling and marched towards Rose.  Rose stood her ground as Dreda rapidly approached her.

Almost nose to nose, Dreda shouted.  “How dare you!  That stupid Club!   That stupid stupid Club killed my love.  My Pavel.”   Dreda pushed Rose backwards grabbing a nearby headstone to steady herself.

“If this is the way you want to be, I have no choice.  I am going to tell Mama and Papa,” threatened Rose.  Dreda was unmoved by her threat.  Rose became angrier. She had never yelled before when she argued with Dreda.  Now she couldn't stop.

“I am your sister!  And I care!”  Her tone softened as she spoke. “Pavel was my brother-in-law.  He was a wonderful man.  He loved you.  I love you. Why can’t you see that?”

Dreda broke down and cried.   Rose moved cautiously towards her, tears welling in her own eyes.

“You have got to believe me.   You must believe me.  This isn't going to end well.”  Rose shook her head.  She backed away, knowing exactly what she had to do.  She must find her Dad.  Their Dad.  His secret mission was less important than this situation.

Dreda had walked back over to her husband’s headstone.  "This isn't over.  And I don't care how it ends… as long as the one who killed my Pavel is dead.  One of your friends."

Rose rubbed her tears away.  Adjusting her cape, then her skirt, she walked away, knowing they would meet again and it would be a far worse encounter.  She disappeared.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...