Sunday, February 21, 2021

The Time Travelers' Club -- Chapter 121: Many Words

Rufus Leighstone spoke for a few minutes to the crowd in Mrs. Steers’ front parlor, before asking "Master Henry" to come forward. Sam was nervous. He fidgeted with his tie, then his shirt collar.

Sam got up in front of the assemblage. He had tried to count them but gave up thinking he had counted some twice.  He knew for sure he was up to at least seventy-three.  He knew only a few of them.

"When my Mom and I moved here, Mrs. Steers gave me an opportunity.” Sam spoke slowly at first, trying to read from the paper in his hand.  “That was to go places...  And now...  And now..." Sam stopped.  He lowered his head in sadness, not able to look at anyone.  "And now she's gone..."

Sam flashed back to the moment they returned from Fingal's Cave.  He could still see the whole scene in his head.

"What a day," said Ari, as he quickly found a place to sit.  "My back is killing me."

"Too much Bruno for one afternoon," said Rose. "You know he and that other guy... What was his name?  Fan?  They left rather quickly back through the passageway.  I wonder where they went."

After unbundling herself, she warmed her hands in front of the fire.

Sam threw his coat on a nearby side chair.  "Maybe they were freaked out by the sight of Mrs. Steers' orb.  That was one awesome orb.  I had no idea that she was..."

From out in the hall they heard someone racing down the stairs.  Xavier zipped into the parlor.  He had tears in his eyes.  All he said was.  "It's not good."  Over and over as he paced.

"What?  What is it?" said Rose.  "What's not good?  Where's Lottie?"  Anxious, Rose took Xavier by the arms.  "Where is she?"

"She's gone.  The orb, it..." He couldn't finish the sentence. 

Ari stood up.  Sam was right next to him.  Rose dashed past Xavier, calling out. “Lottie?  Lottie?”  Uncle Griff and a youngish man appeared in the doorway.

"Dr. Porter," said Rose.  "Were you...?"

Sam spoke up.  "What's going on?  Where's Mrs. Steers?"

Uncle Griff looked at Rose and Ari with great compassion, knowing he was about to make a difficult announcement. But before he had a chance to speak, Dr. Porter did.

"I'm afraid the orb did more damage than we originally thought.  Mrs. Steers is gone.  I couldn't help her."

Sam gasped.  He stood silent.  It was as if the whole world had just stopped.  He moved his mouth as if trying to speak.  His eyes filled with tears.   His knees buckled and he swayed.  Ari gently helped him to the couch. The last thing he heard was Rose breaking out in sobs.

And now several days later, Sam stood in front of the entire Time Travelers Club, along with his mom, and his Grandma and Grandpa Henry, about to speak about her.  The one who had taught him something unusual.  How to travel in time.

Sam started over.  This time with more confident as he looked up.  "When my Mom and I first moved here, I thought Mrs. Steers was one weird lady."  Everyone chuckled.  Sam relaxed a little.  "I mean she was making me my favorite sandwiches and I wasn't sure how she knew what they were.  Then she started talking about traveling through time with Mr. Steers.  And how they went to see different events.  I actually passed out."  Sam smiled, recalling that moment.

"She did a lot to convince me.  And then there was the newspaper with the fingerprint on it.  And how it supposedly belonged to Jack the Ripper and then we actually went to London and when Jack the Ripper was there, and we were there..."  Sam paused and sighed, grinning.  "That was amazing.  And then came Cleopatra.  And the Pyramids.   I got to know Rose and Xavier and Ari.   Remember, Ari, how you had to carry me over your shoulder while we ran from those guys..."  Sam looked at Ari, who grinned back and nodded.

Sam stopped for a moment, trying to pull his thoughts together again.  "I guess what I'm trying to say is Mrs. Steers gave me a whole new life.  Not just for me, but my Mom also.   She's still in shock."  Emily sat nearby, seeming a bit detached, she waved to everyone.

"Mrs. Steers opened a whole new world for me.  I wish I wasn't standing here without her.  But, I still have the rest of you.  And I want to meet all of you.  I want to be part of this Club.  I know my Dad would want me to be.  I guess that's all."

Sitting back down next to his Mom, the service continued with others briefly sharing stories about Mrs. Steers.  When the remembrances were over, everyone mingled, eating and drinking.  Soon, it seemed more like a party then a wake to Sam.

"Nobody seems really sad," said Sam to Rose as they stood in the kitchen, drinking hot chocolate. "I mean aren't funerals supposed to be sad.  My dad's was.  And by the way, what happened to her? I mean where is she?  And Mr. Steers?  I never heard where he was buried."

Rose was silent for a moment.  "Well, everyone would prefer to celebrate her life and how she contributed to the Club.  And as for burials, the Club has certain rules for that.  I'll tell you later."  She smiled and patted him on his back.  "For now, just get to know as many people as you can.   Like her.  That's Mrs. Labuler."  Rose pointed at the Club's archivist who had just come out of the kitchen.

Sam got up to introduce himself.  An hour later, Sam had shaken many hands and felt overwhelmed, trying to remember names.

1 comment:

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...