Sunday, April 5, 2020

The Time Travelers' Club: Chapter 32 -- Back Home

Chapter 32 – Back Home
Mrs. Steers spied Sam and ran over to him. She gently shook his shoulders.

"Sam, are you alright?” She raised her voice. “Oh no! Did they get you?  Sam… Talk to me!”

Sam opened his eyes.

Mrs. Steers looked worried. “Sam, can you hear me? You must listen to me!"

"I can't believe it!  I saw..."

"Who did you see? Did they see you?"

With his mouth hanging open, Sam stared straight forward, lost in the moment..  "I saw... Jack the Ripper. I saw Jack the Ripper.  I recognized the face from a website."  

"Snap out of it, Sam,” said Mrs. Steers

“Yes!” yelled Sam.  “I can’t believe it.  A secret and flying balls of… well… whatever they were made of.” 

“Oh, this is terrible.  I shouldn't have put you in danger.  I 'm so sorry."   Mrs. Steers was wide-eyed, realizing that he had orbs flying at him.  Running footsteps echoed from somewhere nearby.  She had to get Sam home safe and sound, or he might not recover from the excitement.

"Domum me!" exclaimed Mrs. Steers.

In a flash, Sam bounced with a thud in the high-backed chair of Mrs. Steers' back parlor.  Right where they started, exhausted but away from danger.

Sam rubbed his eyes then rubbed his hands on the chair's upholstered arms.  Sitting straight up, he looked around.

"Welcome home," said Ari twirling a ball point pen between his fingers and sitting in a chair across the table.

"Did you have a good time?" asked Rose. She and Xavier sat in the other two chairs.

Sam glanced at the mantel clock. It read 10:30, only a few minutes had passed since Sam and Mrs. Steers left for London.  Despite the time, he had had a long and tiring day.

At first, Sam just muttered a few inaudible words then he launched into broken comments and questions. "Yes… but I'm… well…  Who were those...  How did we get...  Those guys… You guys…"

Mrs. Steers got up.  "First, we need to eat something.  You must relax. Regain your strength. I’ll answers some of your questions in a little bit."

"Well, dears, I am out of here," announced Xavier.  Before leaving, he shook Sam's hand, then tipped his top hat.  "Sam, I'm Xavier.  Xavier Graff.  Well done! I look forward to traveling with you in the future."

"Nice to meet you," said Sam in a quiet voice, not really sure what to think of him.

Ari stepped forward, towering over Sam. "Ari.  My pleasure."  Ari's hand engulfed Sam's and gave with a strong shake.

Rose hugged Sam.  "Sam. What adventures we shall have."  

With that, they left, leaving Sam and Mrs. Steers alone.

1 comment:

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...