Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Piano Teacher -- Part One

This week has been a whirlwind of writing.   I have completed two short stories and more on my book.  My short stories have very little editing other than spell check.  At some point, I am going re-read these and do some editing! 

This story has 5 parts. 

The Piano Teacher -- Part One
Frances Fitzherld perched perfectly in the chair, wringing her slender hands at the plain wooden table.  Beads of sweat rolled down her temples plastering hairs to her pale skin.   Her teary eyes darted from the two vacant chairs across the table to the door with a single window.  The nervous tension she emitted could have blown the door right off its hinges.   Her thoughts swirled like a tornado.  

I have to tell them...  I must confess...  I did it...  I killed him... I told him if he hit the wrong note one more time that was it...

Finally, a shadow appeared in the window cutting off the light.  Angela Harvey, stepped into the small room followed by a man in a grey pin-striped suit. Frances stood up.  Her thoughts flowed from inside her head out of her mouth into the air.

"I have to confess...  I must... I did it... I killed him... Just like I told him I would..." 

Immediately, Angela took command in a calming, yet stern, fashion.  "Please sit down, Frances.  We'll talk about that in a moment.  Right now, I'd like you to meet a friend of mine.  His name is David Templeton."
Frances, despite her intensity, returned to acting like a respectable lady.  Her hand wringing and her desperation dissipated as if Hyde had let Jekyll return in an instant.

David smiled at Frances.   "It's a pleasure to meet you. I've heard a lot about you, Ms. Fitzherld."
In a prim and proper manner, she replied in her New England accent.  "That's very nice.  Unfortunately, I cannot return the compliment since I have not heard about you."

"Most understandable."  David was gracious and charming.  She liked him.

Angela laid her notepad on the table.  While jotting the date, she asked:  "So Frances, what did you want to tell me?"

Remaining calm and collective, yet confident, Frances said:  "I killed Johnny Watkins this morning.  I struck him in the back of the head with my Mozart."  

David raised his eyebrows at Frances' statement remaining there through Angela's casual explanation to him.
"She's referring to her bust of the classical composer sitting on her upright piano."    

Frances turned to David.  "Yes, I told him if he hit the wrong note one more time I would hit with my Mozart.  And that's what he did and I whacked him good."

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...