Thursday, December 10, 2020

The Time Travelers' Club -- Chapter 98: Just Like I Said

Lounging in the Steers' front parlor, Sam read about the Loch Ness Monster.  He studied the maps before moving on to the photographs.   His Mom had gone to work and Mrs. Steers had let him come down to read while she worked in her office.  Closing the book, he picked up the stack of papers about the history of the Club.  This was a boring segment about the archives being moved to its current location.  He was annoyed since it didn’t really say where that was.

“Studying hard.”  Xavier had appeared from nowhere.  Sam jumped.

“You like to just appear, don’t you?”  Sam was irritated with him.  “What are you wearing?”

Xavier had on a golfer’s outfit of knickers, a knitted red sweater, Argyle socks, and a newsboy cap.  Xavier spun about.  “It’s my favorite look. And what are you reading about now?”

“The archives,” said Sam, bored with the chapter.  “I wish there was more about the duel.  I saw much…”  Sam stopped midsentence and glanced up at Xavier.  He realized he had just slipped.

Xavier didn’t miss the comment.  With a questioning look, Xavier sat down next to Sam.  “What was that?”

Sam tried to skate around his response.  “Oh nothing, I just was saying that…”

Xavier zeroed in on Sam, a serious look on his face.  “You saw it, didn’t you?  You went back and actually saw the duel.”

Cornered, Sam confessed with a white lie, trying to cover the fact that he had gone back intentionally.  “I didn’t mean to.  I was thinking about what the incantation would be if I could go back, and before I knew it, I was there.  I was standing in the crowd watching the duel. I did something really bad, didn't I?”

Xavier didn’t know what to say at first.  “Listen. You should never travel by yourself right now, but I can’t be mad. You saw something that nobody has ever seen as far as I know.”

“I’m sorry for traveling by myself,” said Sam.  “I just thought that I could learn more…”

“I understand.  When I was first learning to time travel, I traveled numerous times by myself before I got in big trouble with Uncle Griff.”  Xavier tried to be positive.  He didn’t want to keep Sam from being curious. Xavier pondered a moment.

“Sam, do you think you could take me to see the duel?”

At first, Sam hesitated.  “I really should talk to Mrs. Steers first.”

“Don’t worry about her right now,” whispered Xavier.  “She may get mad and if I saw the duel, well, I could back your story. Take me to see it.  Let’s try.”

Sam reluctantly agreed.  He grabbed Xavier’s arm and within moments they stood at the top of a nearby hill.  This time, they were away from the crowd and had a side view of the duel with Ranulfus' back to them.  They had arrived just as Iordanus sank to his knees and Ranulfus walked over by him.  The crowd was cheering.  Xavier, however, was speechless as he watched.  Finally, the words came.

“It’s not a legend.  It really happened.”  Xavier took two steps while Sam still had a grip on his arm. “Look at all these people.  They were some of the earliest known time travelers.”

“I watched from down there,” said Sam, pointing at a spot in front of the crowd at the bottom of the hill.  “I remember those two women down there.  They were talking about the two guys dueling.  I didn’t understand anything they said except for one of their names.  That’s how I know the guy facing us is Iordanus.”

Xavier tried to move forward but was stopped by Sam’s grasp.  When Sam let go of his sleeve, Xavier disappeared.

Sam gasped. “Xavier?”  He looked around the crowd below, then up to Ranulfus and Iordanus on the hill.  Sam looked right at them.  His eyes widened.  Iordanus and Ranulfus were looking directly at him.  Sam stood perfectly still, staring right back.  The confused crowd below turned but seemed not to see Sam.  Ranulfus took several steps forward and said something in a language Sam didn't recognize.

Sam spoke to him.  "Can you see me?"

Ranulfus pulled back.  Iordanus took a step towards Sam, reaching out.  Sam didn't move this time as Iordanus touched Sam's shoulder.

"I felt that," said Sam.  "I felt you touch me."

Iordanus turned his head to Ranulfus, said something then turned back.  Iordanus reached out with both hands as if to grab Sam.

Freaking out like the last time, Sam shouted out the incantation that would take him home.  "Domum me!"  Back into the front parlor, there was no sign of Xavier.

“Xavier?”  Sam panicked.  He circled the room.  “Xavier, are you here?”

From the dining room, Sam heard running footsteps.  Xavier came into the front parlor.

“Here I am, Sam,” said Xavier.  “I’m alright.  I came back immediately after you let go of me. It must be because you can only travel back to see it. And somebody can touch you, but once they let go…  Anyway, Lottie’s not here.  I’ve sent her a note.”  Xavier began to laugh.  “We’ve got to talk about what just happened.  That was incredible.”

“Where is Mrs. Steers?”  Sam wanted to talk to her about what he had seen.  He had tons of questions.  Why could Iordanus and Ranulfus see him?  And how could they touch him?  What were they saying?

“Apparently, she has gone to the archives,” said Xavier.  “I’ve sent her a message. She should be home soon.”

Sam tailed Xavier to the kitchen.  In a few moments, they sat in silence at the kitchen table with steaming mugs of hot chocolate, waiting for Mrs. Steers to return.

Fidgeting, kicking the chair legs, gripping his mug, Sam couldn't shake Iordanus’ touch.  He could feel the pressure of his fingers on his shoulder.  Then there were the few words he had said.  What could they have been saying?

Questions whirled in Sam's mind.  He could hardly wait to talk to Mrs. Steers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...