Monday, September 17, 2012

Thoughts on Being a Writer

While staring out into space, dreaming of a better life as a writer, I ask myself several questions.   I am going to address each of these over the next few weeks as I wrestle with the answers.
  1. What is the point of this blog?
  2. What is my mission as a writer? 
  3. What do I want out of it?
  4. Where do I see myself in ten years?
  5. How do I handle criticism?
  6. How do I handle jealousy and envy of other authors?

1)  First, this blog allows me to practice writing.  I've reached a point where I am not as concerned about it being for the general populace (like my other blog) as I am using it as a scratch pad for my personal thoughts, a written diary I can use to reflect on where I have been and where I am going.   

Also as a place to practice editing... just look at that previous sentence!  Here's my edited version of the sentence above:  First, this blog serves as a scratch pad to practice writing, editing, and as a diary of my journey to where I am and where I'm going.  (Better, eh?)

2)  What is my mission?
Much like an artist statement, I need to a purpose.

My mission is simple -- to create interesting stories, to write engaging books.

I discovered writing at a young age.  My first book, The Loch Ness Monster, was a first edition with only one printing.  A handwritten, hand illustrated booklet on my findings after reading a book about the topic purchased at a used books store.   Alas, the only copy has been lost, possibly off-gassing in a landfill.   My second fictional work, also a single copy first edition, meet the same fate.

Once again, and thirty-five year later with life experience under my belt, I have returned to this lost dream.



No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...