Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Marmaduke Scott of Pasquotank County, North Carolina, Part 3

Here a Child, There a Child...

Marmaduke Scott married Miriam Jackson... daughter of Simon Peter and Mary Jackson... on December 30th, 1789. (If they were alive today, they could celebrate their 228 wedding anniversary.)

More importantly, that means we can get a good sense of just how many people were in the family in the 1790 census.  From what I see, in the Marmaduke Scott household, we have one male over the age of 16 and two females.  Obviously the male has to be Marmaduke.  And one of the females has to be Miriam, but who is that second female? Perhaps a daughter who could possibly be a month or two old, meaning she was born in 1790.  The census was taken on or about August 7th, 1790.  About eight months. On the other hand, she could have been somebody's mother, aunt, sister, niece, or a vagrant off the street. But judging by the 1800 and 1810 censuses, I think this person may have been a daughter.

Marmaduke also had a son with Miriam -- Harvey, who was born after the census.  He was born in 1791.  He would be the "one male under 10" in the 1800 census and "one male 10-15" in the 1810 census.  (Harvey went on to marry Keiza/Keziah/Kesia/Kesiah Clark.  I'm still thinking about a seance to get the correct spelling of her name... if she's willing to chat.  They would move to Indiana and have kids, grandkids, great-grandkids, and so forth, and eventually I show up in there.)  But I digress...

Back to the census...  According to the research from my previous post, Miriam died in the mid-1790s, like around 1794 or 1795, and Marmaduke remarried Mary Polly Jackson and had several children. So, by 1800, the household looks different.  To start... more children.

In the 1800 census, the household of Marmaduke includes -- one male under 10 (Harvey) and one male 26-44 (Marmaduke); 3 females under 10, 1 female 26-44 (Mary Polly), and one female 45+.
And by the 1810 census, you find one male under 10, one male 10-15 (Harvey), and one male 45+ (Marmaduke); 3 females under 10, 2 females 10 -15, one female 16-25, one female 26-44 (Mary Polly), and one female 45+.

Now... Let's chat about the second female from the 1790 census.  If you peruse the 1790, 1800, and 1810 household make up, you will see 3 females in 1800.  I can account for two of them from the estate files.  One could be exactly 10, being born in 1790...  Add 10 years for the 1810 census, you've got someone who's 20... and in that census, there is someone who falls into the 16-25 range.  I can't look any further because Marmaduke died in 1813 (with not one person in his estate papers to match that enumerated female) and Mary Polly died in 1820 and since that enumerated female wasn't her daughter, there is no reason for her to appear in the estate papers.

So, did that female die?  Did she marry?  At this point, I don't know.

The second female in the 1790 census could be the female who appears in the 1800 and 1810 census as being over the age of 45.  It could be Miriam's mother. Or it could be Marmaduke's mother. Or someone else.  I'm pretty sure that it's not Mary Polly's mother.

The bottom line is that there is nothing that I have found to give better insight.  Nothing.  Nada.  Zip.  Zilch.  So if anyone out there can help, email me... please...

Whew!  That's enough info for the moment.

CSM

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chris,
    I happened to stumble upon your blog as I was searching for information about Marmaduke Scott, as I too descend from his son Harvey and Keziah Scott! It's not a line on my tree that I have focused much on but your posts have helped immensely! I also have Bailey Jackson as the father of Miriam so I need to go fix that. If you've come across more information in the last few months, I'd love to chat.

    Thanks!
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashley
    Good to hear that my research and blog posts have helped. Obviously I am behind and am just now seeing your comment. Please feel free to email me at csmarshall@yahoo.com. I would be happy to chat.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...