Tuesday, December 18, 2012

This Christmas Season

"When it rains, it pours." I have mentioned that to my sister before. Her response -- "We don't have rain storms, this family has hurricanes." So true.

I've been slow on the blogging this month. First, I've been busy with my holiday traditions. To the Phoenix Theater with my friend Lois to see their annual Christmas show. Loved it! Loved it! To Theatre on the Square with my friend Joe and his friends The Mikes. Guys -- I think we should do something different next year. Just sayin'.

Onto the Indianapolis Men's Chorus to see Joe perform. I saw a couple of good friends -- Kathy and Elizabeth. This year's concert was wonderful. Great job! Joe -- you need to project a little -- no, just kidding. You were fine. And you weren't the only one that was fine...

Meanwhile, among the festiveness, I've dealt with a father whose lost 40 lbs. in just over two months. I've watched him age fast. I'm reminded of my mother and how she seemed to age over night. He's got kidney failure, congestive heart failure, diabetes, high blood pressure... The guy didn't get the best warehouse to work with this round. Hopefully, when he moves on, they'll give him something better.

I just can't help but feel scared and sad. You never think your parents will die. They should live on and on and on. And in a sense, they do. It's not a final parting. It's a temporary separation. Someday, we'll shake hands again. There be no fear of the past or secrets.

CSM

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...