Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Being Left Behind

As I sit here writing this, I can't help but wonder how long until I am an orphan.  

One by one I've watched the ones I grew up with grow old.  Their hair grays and recedes.   They eyes grow tired.  Their hands that used to be so soft to the touch get wrinkled.   Faces worn from their own changes of life.

I never thought the day would come that I would watch them go one by one.  Experience their experience with their own loved ones that they grew up with and had to watch get old and leave them.  We are all never really ready to say goodbye.   It's so unfair, but in order to live we have to die.  And we die trying to live.

I had several great teachers in my life who taught me to laugh and cry.  Uncle Dick's warm greetings and his "always glad to see you" welcomes.   Grandma Alford's stories of growing up in North Dakota.  Aunt Sue's cranberry salad at Christmas.  Grandpa Marshall's wit and humor.  Cousin Frances' generosity.  Aunt Martha's cutting my hair.  So many.

But the most important memories come from the two that gave me life and raised me as best they could.   One has gone on and waits.   Soon, she'll be here to take the other.   It will be his turn.

The one thing they never told me was how hard this would be.   I can only guess that they knew it was the one experience I had to go through.

It's unfair, but I know I'm not alone.

CSM

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...