Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Stalled

One of the many aspects about writing is that you can get stalled.  It's not that I have a "block" or a lack of ideas or even what I've been currently writing.   It's life.   Life gets in the way.    For the past several weeks, I have been stalled in getting work done on book two.   I have a total of 86 pages with just over 30,000 words down.  I'm moving faster than before, but life gets in the way.

They're not distractions like TV or mowing the grass.  They're really issues -- sickness, annoyances, infatuations, mental breakdowns.  And please note, they're all out of my control.  I can't do anything about any of them.   They have their limitations.  I can only take reign of the part I can control.

My one and only thought on how to deal with some of these uncontrollable issues is to take the energy I would spend on them and pour it into my writing.

It took me some time to realize that I've lost track of the most important goal in my life right now.   I had to stop, regroup, and get back to that number one goal -- book two, then onto book three.    Without much reluctance, I've pushed away all the uncontrollable distractions.    I can control my characters, the plot, the scenes, the dialogue.  Their lives are in my hands.  Those fictional characters alive and well and living in my mind. 

Why bother messing with distractions beyond my control?

CSM

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...