Tuesday, March 21, 2017

The Color of the Sky, Part Two

And now Part Two of my new short story...

Enjoy!

CSM

*****

About a two weeks before, I was walking into town when I noticed that the youngest of the Fray boys was trailing me. He was also sixteen.  I turned to look at him.  He squinted from the sun in his face.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"Nothing."

"Well then nothing's what you'll get."  I walked on.

"Are you walking to town?"

"Yep.  Got to get a few things for Gra'ma from Milton's."

He caught up, but stayed a couple of steps behind.  "My name's Rusty.  Most folks call me Sissy Boy.  Guess that's cause I take of the house while daddy and my brothers work in the field."  He hung his head down and put his hands in his jeans pockets.

"Yea, I know."  I also knew that he got teased and taunted a lot.  We walked the rest of the way in silence. I could feel his eyes glance over at me.  To be honest, I was thinking about Cesar Romero again.

We cut down the alley behind the businesses on main street.  It was quicker.  I could go in the back door of Milton's.

About half way there, Neil stepped out from behind a garage opposite the bank building.  He was a hulk.  He was seventeen and no smarter than a dead cat.

"Well if it isn't Sissy Boy." Neil shoved him.

Sissy Boy backed up, trying to avoid Neil.

I stepped in. I don't know why. I just did.
  
Neil laughed.  "Oh yea, Danny Boy, is he your girlfriend?  Does he get your gun off?"

"What?  I don't have a gun."

"What's ya got then?  A muff?
"A muff?  It's too hot for a muff."
Neil shook his head in disbelief. "Yurra dumb ass. Don't even know what I'm talkin' 'bout."  He pushed me then shoved Sissy Boy again.  This time Sissy Boy fell.  I kicked Neil in the shin.
"Oh you're gonna get it, you son of a bit..."
"What in blue blazes is going on out here?" Mr. Leiber came out the back door of the bank.
Neil ran off.
Mr. Leiber helped Sissy Boy up.  "Damn that Neil Henderson. I'd like to whoop that boy over the head.  Maybe knock some sense into him."
We thanked Mr. Leiber and we went on to Milton's.
Sissy Boy followed me back home.  I knew he was watching me as I walked.  He walked over to a tree in his yard and sat down and leaned against it.  I gave Gra'ma the bag of sugar and salt. I went out to the barn and ran my hand over the hood of the 1934 Ford sedan that sat idle since Granddad had died.  It needed a part.  I climbed up into the hay loft.

*****

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...