Tuesday, April 4, 2017

The Color of the Sky, Part Four

And right onto part four...

The next morning is when it happened.  The day that Sissy Boy ran down our lane in that striped dress of his mama's.  His dad had gotten drunk and slapped him around.  He had caught Sissy Boy looking in the closet where his mama's dresses still hung.  Apparently, he was hugging on one of them and thinking about his mama.  His drunken dad didn't understand and made him put it on calling him "the woman of the house."
Gra'ma cried. Sissy Boy cried.  I simply said that I had to go to Milton's because it was my work day.
****
I was sweeping when Sissy Boy came in with a list from Gra'ma.  He was to buy a new shirt and a pair of trousers and a few other things.  I saw that he had on my clothes.  Mrs. Milton helped him.
In the back room, the delivery man had left cartons of merchandise.  Mr. Milton finished inventorying bottles of liniment oil and I was to unpack them.
Mrs. Milton let Sissy Boy try on his new clothes in the small bathroom in the back.
"How do they fit?" I heard her say. "I've left the bag here on the stool next to the door.  It's got the thread Mrs. Jeffries wanted. I put a copy of the receipt in the bag if she needs it.
"They fit fine, ma'am," said Sissy Boy through the shut door.  "And thank you." 
Mrs. Milton left and the bathroom door opened.  Sissy Boy looked nice.  He had folded my clothes perfectly and held them like they were fine linens. 
I couldn't help but grin. "Look at you in your new clothes."
"These are the first new clothes I've had in a long time.  I usually get hand-me-downs."
Without any warning, Sissy Boy kissed me on the lips and headed out the back door.
I turned just in time to see the back of Mrs. Milton walking away.
But there was something strange about her.  Her dress and only her dress was light blue and stood out against the shades of brown and gray.
*****
For the first time, I was scared.  I didn't know what Mrs. Milton would say to Mr. Milton and then what they would say to Gra'ma.
I carried the box of liniment oil bottles to the front of the store.  I spotted Mrs. Milton whispering to Mr. Milton. 
Sitting in his usual spot by the front window was the one everyone called "The Writer."
"How are you today?" he said.
"Good, sir." I glanced over at Mrs. Milton.  She had finished talking to Mr. Milton and headed to the back room.
"Ever read any Dickens?"  He held up his book.
"No, sir." 
Mr. Milton put the last of his stock of pencils and notebooks on the shelf.  He plopped the empty box in the back corner and walked my way.
I inhaled, feeling like I was going to pull all of the air out the room.  Mr. Milton checked my work.
"Very good, Daniel.  You do a good job in keeping the store clean and the shelves neat and tidy."
I was nervous. "Thank you, Mr. Milton."  I thought for sure that this was it.  I was going to be told to leave and never come back.  I was scared and thought I had overused my acceptance of the way things were.
"I may give you a few extra chores.  Of course, I would pay you more."
I was stunned and didn't know what to say.
"Have I ever told you about my sister?  She lives in Chicago with a... well... very special friend that she loves greatly."  He patted me on my shoulder and smiled. "Mrs. Milton and I visit her at least twice a year. We always enjoy our time with them."  His eyes said it all.  You are safe here.  He went to help a customer.
"See, son," said The Writer.  "Just like in Dickens.  All will be well."  He winked.
I let out a long breath of air and finished stocking the bottles.
When I turned around, I froze. I felt like I was frozen in place.
"You alright, son?" asked The Writer.  "Looks like you're looking at the center of the sun."
The jars of red, orange, and green hard candies.  The bright green gum balls.  The orange wrappers of the O'Henrys.  The red letters of the Sky Bars.  The yellow and blue letters of the Butterfingers.  All the candy wrappers were so bright. I squinted my eyes.

*****
CSM

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...