Wednesday, March 27, 2019

When the Time Comes

Everyday I wonder if this is the day I die.  The last day of my life.  A one-way ticket out of here.

Okay before anyone jumps to any conclusions, I want to say that I am not suicidal nor am I wanting to die, but I know that some day I will.  This one thought everyday reminds me that every day is important and needs to be more that just a day at work, doing chores, and paying bills.

Losing my mother at the age of thirty-eight had a very profound effect on me.  More than I may ever realize. Since that day, I have tried to make everyday count.  Count for something more than the daily grind.  Not just working. Not just worrying about my car that could croak at any minute. Not just praying that I can retire with a decent income.

Life is so short. Life is too short.  Life is way too short.   I look in the mirror on occasion and think to myself "Where did that young man go?"  The mirror is the same, but the reflection is different.  These moments also serve as a reminder that time is flying by.

Here's a piece of advice...  Always start the day with "Is this my last day?"  I find that it makes me reflect on my life, about where I've been and where I'm going and what new adventures lay ahead.

So when the time comes, I want to be ready.  To be able to say that I lived my life to the fullest and if that means leaving behind everything I've worked for so be it.  You can't take it with you.

CSM

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...