Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Witch Tale -- Part 4

And now, the thrilling conclusion of The Witch Tale...
The Witch Tale -- Part 4
"Well, ladies, here's to us!" said Hazel.   All three of them lifted their mugs and toasted.
"Down the hatch!" added Hettie.
The trio drank the potion.   During and after swallowing, their faces grimaced at its taste.
"Oh dear god!" said Bertha.  "That's a taste I'm glad we only have to endure every fifty years!"
"What do you think gives it that nasty taste?" said Hazel.  "Maybe something washed off that girl.  You are sure she was a virgin?"
"Yes, not to worry," said Bertha.  "I couldn't take the other one.  She's a slut."
"I don't know, but I wish we could get a better recipe." said Hettie.
"Well, now we just sit and wait."  Bertha plopped down onto the couch and grabbed an issue of "Housekeeping for Witches."  Meanwhile, Hazel sat by the fire in her rocker and Hettie put away potion bottles organizing them in alphabetical order.
After an hour,  Bertha looked in the mirror.   At first, she glanced, then getting closer, she pinched her cheeks.   Her fair skin remained pale, her hair blond, her eyes blue, and cheeks still rosy.   Bertha turned to Hazel and Hettie who had stopped and looked at her.
"Well, how do we look?" said Hazel glancing at Bertha, then over to Hettie.   Bertha cocked her head a little examining both their faces.
"The same," said Bertha.   Hettie and Hazel both stepped in front of the mirror.   Hettie's hair remained auburn, her eyes green, her lips red, and her skin clear of any blemishes.  Hazel's brown bobbed hair still shined, her brown eyes twinkled, and, like the others, her skin remained soft and fair.  All three looked like ideal female models.
"DAMN!" shouted Bertha. "It didn't work."  Bertha kicked the end of the sofa, while Hettie cried.
"I can't believe this!" said Hazel. "All that work! Rounding up those damn kids!  Putting up with 'em! We did everything by the book!  Word for word! We measured each ingredient!"  She shook her head and started crying.
"I want to be pretty like other witches," lamented Hettie.  "I want the green skin... warty nose... black nasty hair...  But no, I look hideous!"

2 comments:

  1. I almost quit after part 2 as it was pretty gruesome - but I hung inthere and I'm glad I did. Like the twist at the end and I'm glad Hannah didn't die...starting out with part 1 I thought it might go in another direction but all in all I liked it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Hannah doesn't die. She can't. She, as well as Mike and Seth, have a starring role in another book that I am working on.

    ReplyDelete

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...