Friday, November 2, 2012

My Inner Critic

Without criticism, how does a writer grow?  

Critics may sting or bite or even snarl, but I believe they provide you with better insight into your writing.  Publishing houses can do the same.  Although, I do keep in mind that J. K. Rowling's first book was passed on by several publishers.  Gee, I wonder if they made as much money with their chosen books to publish as she did writing book seven?  

My fear spins around an unseen critic.   The one hiding deep inside my mind.  I hear the jerk's words...  "You're a nobody.  Who cares about your stupid book?  Or writing?  Or blog?"

Maybe it's doubt I hear and not the inner critic.

As for the exterior critic, the one who reads your book, dishes about the flat cardboard character, the thin plot, the poor structures.  Why should I care about them?   They may or may not help me improve my techniques, character development, fuller plot, better writing.  Or maybe, most of all, I want to hear from them because I'm a sadist.

Sometimes, I have the pleasure of sitting at the library's reference desk in the fiction area.   As I scan the great sea of fiction titles filling the shelves, I cannot help but think "I can do this."

I've learned it is important to practice, patience, and perseverance.  Putting words on paper, then edit, then edit again.   Read.   Read again.  Read as a writer.   Read as a reader.  Study the words, the structures, the plots, the characters.   How are they intertwined?   What is memorable?

No matter what, just keep writing.

CSM

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...