Friday, November 2, 2012

Writing Space

From the "learn-it-the-hard-way" method, I discovered that writing spaces are important.   The area must be comfortable, clean, clear of clutter, and away from distractions.

As I look at mine, I can check off that my space is...  Well, none of the above.   I have an uncomfortable chair, a kid-sized desk from the 1930s, a nick-knacks from travels, wee piles of scrap paper with notes, and dust.

Yet, somehow I managed to fill a 127 pages (8 1/2 by 11) with a trifle over 47,000 words to form the first part of a larger story.

Often I longed for comfort.   So, I set myself a new goal.  Get a comfortable chair and a bigger desk, dust more frequently, and clear a portion of the clutter.  The nick-knacks have to stay.  Those momentos of my travels remind me of the more important things in life.  Keep traveling.  They also inspire me with ideas for plots, "what if" moments, and character development.

CSM

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...