Monday, March 4, 2013

Writing and Emotions

Moody, angry, loving, caring, bored, mellow... I've felt many emotions while writing. 

I've decided to put them to use whenever I feel them.   Write the parts/chapters your mood fits. 

In other words, feeling angry? Write that chapter where you kill off the villain.  Feeling sad, write about his funeral (if you actually liked him or felt sympathy or empathy for this nearly killed villain).  Feeling sentimental, write about his past and how it lead to his villainy.

I had anger the other day.  I felt some pretty strong anger and wrote the most heart-wrenching chapter that night.  I can hardly wait to re-read it in a few days or weeks.   I'll probably wait until the anger in myself has subsided.  From there, I might be able to read in an objective way.

Emotions and their energy shouldn't go to waste.   When someone gets mad at you and you get angry in return, don't let the moment pass lightly.  Take that energy that you might use stewing over the situation and write those parts of your book that reflect it.

I dreaded writing a significant chapter in book two.   I didn't or couldn't face it.  It was there.  Waiting patiently for the words to form into a significant chapter.   I just couldn't do it.  But, the other day, all it took was one person with a chip on their shoulder to drive me right to that chapter.  The anger I felt flowed right onto the electronic page.  I felt a certain level of catharsis.  And I actually felt better.  The horrid chapter got written.  And now I can move on.  Hopefully, I'll be able to go back and read it.   I'm not kidding when I say it was a heart-wrenching chapter to write.

Emotion.  Use it.

CSM

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...