Sunday, March 31, 2013

Finding Inspiration

I've had several sources of inspiration over the years that have formed this one big mass I call my imagination.  It's multi-generational, multi-faceted, a little multi-lingual.

My most earliest source of inspiration that I can remember was Walt Disney and his world.  His world of animated shorts, films, and of course, the Magic Kingdom, where my imagination ran wild.   As I was six years old when my family first went.  Mickey Mouse, Minnie, Pluto, Donald, Goofy, and all the others there to greet me.  The lands -- Adventure, Frontier, Tomorrow, Fantasy -- and their attention to detail.  The rides.  The Haunted Mansion.  Pirates of the Caribbean.  Peter Pan's Flight.  All spirited me away into a brief world of imagination.

Another source was the world of Hanna-Barbera.  I was a kid who grew up on Saturday morning cartoons.  I remember on Friday nights before the first Saturday of the new season they aired a special to introduce the  new cartoons.   Scooby-Doo, The Flintstones and all their family and friends.

Movies galore!   I have always been a movie fan and sometimes film my book as I go along.  In other words, I cast my characters, provide wardrobe, dialogue, actions, etc.   I've found my biggest sources of inspiration through Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, Alfred Hitchcock, Roger Corman -- to name a few.  Not to mention the numerous individual movies.

My most important source of inspiration has been people.   I can sit and people-watch for a couple of hours and observe them without their ever noticing.   And that's only part of it.   The best part is that I pick ideas for characters.   The way they move their head.  Their mannerisms.  The way they wear their hats. The way they sip their tea.   (Oops.. Did mention that I also listen to a lot a music.)  I find it useful to make mental notes of people's habits, traits, and overall appearance.

People.  You all make great sources of inspiration.  Find your own inspiration and embrace it.

CSM 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...