Monday, June 3, 2013

You and Me Against the World

Helen Reddy singing:
"You and me against the world
Sometimes it feels like you and me against the world
When all the others turn their backs and walk away
You can count on me to stay..."
 
My Mother was always there for me.  When I was sick. When I was happy.  When I was sad.  The Christmases, the birthdays, the funerals...
 
When I posted the entry about being mad at myself and about just being myself, a kind friend sent me this amazing story.  I have abridged and edited it.  I cried after the first few lines and had to return to read the second half.  I cried some more before re-reading the entire message again.
 
Here it is:
 
"...just read your blog, and we both shed a few tears.  It's hard to be so honest, but you did it well.  I wanted you to hear a conversation I had with your mom right before I left.  It was a rainy day and I was the person in charge for the day.  You mom was working.  Somehow I ended up telling your mom I was gay.  She said, "my son is, too."  I asked how she had dealt with it, and she said, "I don't know how to talk to him, I don't know what to say."  I told her to let you know that she loved you.  She said," I hope he knows that."  I hope so, too.  She may not have helped you or talked to you, but in her own way she was supportive.  Thought you should know."
 
I find it hard to write, read, or re-read these words, mainly because my eyes are blurred by tears.  When I went to bed that night, I talked with my Mother well past midnight.   Somehow, I just knew she was there.   I laughed, cried, and smiled... but mainly cried.
 
Helen Reddy singing:
"You and me against the world
Sometimes it feels like you and me against the world
And for all the times we've cried
I always felt that God was on our side..."
 
When I was a kid, my Mother had "The Greatest Hits of Helen Reddy" album, which I now have.  I remember her playing it.  And this one song from the album sticks in my head until this very day as being our song -- my Mother's and mine. 
 
I listen to it differently now.  And I cry... This part of the lyrics has even more meaning now...
 
Helen Reddy singing:
"And when one of us is gone
And one is left alone to carry on
Then remembering will have to do
Our memories alone will get us through
Think about the days of me and you
Of you and me against the world"
 
I love you, Mama...

CSM

1 comment:

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...