Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Fourth of July and Being Independent

Imagine growing up thinking that the whole country celebrated your birthday...  

Well, I did, until I got older and realized that the whole country really wasn't honoring me.  Bow to me, now!  The usual response I get back is "Bow to yourself.  I've got better things to do!"  Love it!

OK, so I really don't want to be bowed to. The Forth of July and I have one major thing in common:  independence.  The country celebrates the day we broke our ties with jolly old England and King George over... taxation.   I find that funny since prior to July 4th, 1776, the colonists never paid any form of taxes.  That's right, folks.   Read your history book... Oh wait, I like the way we leave that part out.  Anyway...

I've always thought of myself as an independent person.  I was the youngest of three.  Sometimes called "the late addition."   People have thought that I was an only child and, to an extent, I was.   I didn't have siblings to fight with.  According to my parents, I often just shrugged my shoulders, went to my room, and read.   Who could ask for anything more?

But, the single life has its consequences.   Being independent isn't that great all the time.   What's it like to cuddle on the couch and watching a movie?  Going shopping and offer opinions on styles and looks?  How about making dinner together?  Knowing that you are not alone in the night?  

My friend Lois and I have talked about being independent, also known as "being single" and how it affects our lives.   First, you are in full control with no need to compromise.  I pick my destinations.  I pick the final outcomes on numerous activities.  I can walk naked from the bathroom to the kitchen and no one cares, except the neighbors who draw their drapes.

Being single can be nice, but sometimes, it's rough.  I have to take care of everything.   All responsibility is mine.  I look back at my parent's marriage and think to myself "What a well-oiled machine!"  They had their ups and downs.   Their share of heartaches, good times, and frivolities.   It's something that I want to experience.

Which brings me to my birthday epiphany:  They didn't do it alone.  I mean the signers of the Declaration of Independence.   It was a group effort.   So, I have to admit that I would like to give up some independence for more togetherness.

CSM 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...