Monday, July 1, 2013

Favorite Sayings From My Father

Besides being the maddest man I knew, my Dad had many other great talents.    One was coming up with great words of advice or quick-witted responses to questions...

Parting guests often heard "Don't go away mad" or "Glad you got to see me."

My Dad grew up in the late Depression Era then through the World War Two era and graduated from high school in 1954.  I am amazed how many of the Class of 1954 got married to each other (and are still married) and stayed in touch.  Dick and Janet are the ones I remember stopping by the most.   Janet was another one with the best quick remarks.   One time as their visit wound down, Dick asked her if she was ready to go.  (Now, Imagine a 65-year-old with auburn hair and an innocent smile.)  Her answer to Dick was -- "Yes I am.  I'm the live entertainment tonight at the bar."  Blank stares turned to laughter.  My parents were always gracious hosts.  Always entertaining (in many ways), never a dull moment when visitors came calling.

If you got mad, he'd say "Well, you'll just have to be mad until you get glad." 

My Dad got mad a lot.  Don't get me wrong, he had lots of "glad" moments as well.   When the doctor told us the diagnosis, my Dad knew the end was near.  That was in August of 2012.   In October, when I asked his doctor, his gut reaction was six months.  It was wasn't just a "sad" moment, but we also had a "glad" moment.   He told me he was proud of all three of us and couldn't have asked for a better life with such great kids.  I got mad at my Dad on numerous occasions... And so did my Mom!  But regardless, we always bounced back, maybe not right then, but we did.   I couldn't have asked for more resilient parents.  So, I can honestly say I was mad until I got glad.

Ask him how his day was going, you got "I was fine, but I got over it." 

One day, I came into work, a coworker asked me how I was doing, and I said I was fine, but I got over it. For the first time ever, I understood what my Father was saying.  My Dad worked hard for thirty-five years at Delco-Remy in Anderson.  He retired the same year I graduated from high school.  I went to Delco-Remy's open house in the 1970s.  I would have been about 9 or so.  My Father showed me his desk and the "crib."   The "crib" was the supply are for the entire plant.  Boxes of tools, equipment, and supplies lined shelves in the huge caged-in area.   My thought at the time was how important a man he must be to be in charge of all this stuff.   However, now these years later, I know why he was ready to retire.  He got tired of being fine and getting over it.

And my personal favorite -- "I've lived 43 years without 'em, I'm sure I'll live another 43."

I've used my own age, because I've made it my own now.  My Father had a great number of friends, many of them lifelong.  However, there were the ones that didn't like him, despite being himself and sometimes going out of his way to be their friend.  If it went nowhere, he'd say this saying and just move on.  I've had a few people who've come into my life that I've said this about, but I've also got a greater number of friends that I hope I never have to use this saying.

It's hard to imagine anyone not liking my Father.   He had a great sense of humor.  He'd do anything for you.  I know at least one thing he did for me...  Left me with these great sayings that make life a little more interesting.

CSM

1 comment:

  1. Gaylord and I were like brothers thru all our lives, I miss his calls alway with him saying

    " HI CUZ, I thought about you today and decided to call you".
    I will never forget the last call when he said-"I just called to say goodbye and to tell you that you were always my hero".

    the best compliment anyone could ever ask for.

    ReplyDelete

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...