Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Angry, He Wrote!

I've been on this "Murder, She Wrote" kick. (Aka M.S.W.) Currently, I'm half way through season nine.  I can't resist watching Angela Lansbury/Jessica Fletcher running around solving mysteries like it was nothing.  She has a constantly-running video-recorder for a mind. I can't imagine being that mental and remember things like someone taking off an earring to talk on the phone.  Oh please, I can't even remember where I put my phone.

My Mother loved this show.   She watched it from the day it first aired, then hit the re-runs whenever possible.  I watched the earlier seasons, but missed most when I went to college. Now, I am catching up.

But the other day, I began to question why am I currently obsessed with this show.   What is the real reason?   Surely, I don't like Angela that much that I would stick with her for the past four months starting with her initial thrilling adventure.

So, the other day, I was in a "play all episodes" mood.  One right after another.   During a break, I thought to myself how my Mother loved this show and how much my Father...

A light bulb came on.

...Oh how my Father hated that show.   He used to complain about my Mother watching it all the time.  "I never want to be wherever that woman is.  Somebody always gets murdered," he would complain.   Of course, he was right.   Somebody always got stabbed, strangled, or shot wherever she went.

More importantly, a light bulb came on in my head...   Not only had I been catching up on past seasons of M.S.W., but I was getting even with my Father for dying.   And I had chosen to taunt him with something he hated and something my Mother and I loved. 

I was angry.  I am angry.  So damn mad I could spit nails.

Angry because I had to take care of his final departure.  Angry because I have to deal with his estate.   I know that it's only fair.  He took care of me through the early years and then I had to take care of his affairs at the end.  

Angry because he left me alone.

You went off and left me alone! You left me with an emptiness that I'm having a hard time filling.   I've starting thinking about Christmas morning.  It was your time.  You were the master of ceremonies that morning.   You left me afraid of the future.  And now I'm not your little boy anymore...

I'm really mad at you.

And, by the way, I've got three more seasons to watch...  Then there's the M.S.W. movie box set....   Then I might just start reading the books based on the series...  And there's the audio-books...
So there!

CSM

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...