Wednesday, April 9, 2014

True Love or Great Sex? Part One

While in middle school, I started researching my family and interviewing the older generations. I now realize I made a great decision since they are all, but a few, gone.  However, there were stories we didn't know and I had the great fun of piecing them together, one sliver of information at a time.   Over the years, I've recorded many stories in my head about my family's past.  They are a writer's pool of wealth. So here's one...

(Side note to the audience:  Before I even dive into this story, I just know that a few people are spinning in their graves at this moment. They know I am about to spill the family gossip for the whole world to read!)

This story involves my Great Grandparents -- Bill and Sadie Marshall.  I never met them.  My Father always said that they had a life before they had a life. This is one it took years to dig out of the closet, despite the fact, my research had already given me a clear picture.  You can run, but you can't hide.

Bill was born in 1886 in a log cabin owned by his Grandfather, a proud member of the Underground Railroad movement in southern Indiana.  The family also formed a baptist church in the area and, today, a state marker honors their work.  From what I have gathered, Bill must have been the lady's man.   He traveled about and eventually made his way to Greensburg, Indiana, around 1915.

Sarah was born in 1879, somehow along the way she gained the nickname "Sadie."  She would live with that name right up to the end.  In fact, that's what is engraved on the headstone.  Anyway, Sadie was born in Indiana, lived in Illinois, and "may have been raised along the Ohio River."  In other words, little is known about her vagabond childhood.   Rumor has it that she had an affair with a river boat gambler, who was reported to have been "of dark skin."  Well now!  Regardless, she married a guy named Steve and they had three children -- Rose Ethel, George Herman, and Rebecca Jane.   It is with Rebecca (a.k.a. Becky) where the fun really begins.

Becky, as she was called in her youth, was born in Columbus in 1910.  However, according to the official census, Steve was a grieving widower with no Sadie or Becky in sight.   As it turns out, Sadie had left Steve for Ohio where she left Becky to be put up for adoption.  This never happened.  Eventually, Sadie turned up in Greensburg, about 1915.  She lived in one part of town, while Bill lived in another.   I'm not sure what exactly was going on.   I can only guess.  But I do know this, in 1915, they year my Grandpa Marshall was born... in Greensburg...  there are no birth records for a Marshall.   But there is one for a Jones...  On the same day.   Grandpa Marshall was, without a doubt, Bill's son; and later, a sister, Nancy, came along in 1917.

The Marshall side of the family always seemed to me... well...  to put it bluntly, to be a little on the wild side.. and, well, maybe the horny side.

CSM


No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...