Wednesday, April 23, 2014

True Love or Great Sex? Part Two

So, Bill and Sadie had two children together -- my Grandfather and his sister, Nancy (who died when she was only a year old).   They lived in Greensburg, Indiana, for a few years before finally moving to the Kalamazoo area in Michigan.  I suspect that Steve Jones and Bill may have had a few brawls, but who knows.   They lived in Michigan for several years before moving to Anderson, Indiana, where Bill went to work for Delco-Remy, part of General Motors.

Throughout the 1930s, I found it very interesting that the Anderson City Directories lists Bill and Sadie in one part of town, while Steve and Sadie lived in another part of town.   I wonder if she had to take care of two households?  I also just can't help to ask what was it?

Years later, Steve died, allowing Sadie to finally marry the man she had spent a large part of her life with.  I know for some this news came as a shock, but I always knew something was amiss, since no one seemed "to know" when they got married.  Regardless, I have lots of great photographs of them, looking happy and enjoying life.   Later, Bill would take "a preaching course" via mail and have his own church and congregation.   By the sounds of it, Bill and Sadie got religion which only makes me wonder what else they might have done that no one knew about.

But no matter what, I admire them.   It had to have been true love.   To seek out divorces when they were frowned upon and basically made you an outcast, despite the social structure, the legalities, the paperwork with signatures,  they didn't really care what anyone thought.  A trait that runs on the Marshall side of the family.  Isn't that right, JD, Robin, Tim... and even myself?  For 30 years, they lived together, raising two children, and enjoying life.  They made the family history a little more interesting.  I also feel a little more free in my life.  In other words, there is no straight and narrow path to follow.  I think it's good to venture off it for a while, otherwise, you may live a very boring life.

CSM

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...