Thursday, July 17, 2014

Tune in this time for: The Dating Game, or Love is a Splintered Thing

I've been asked by several gentlemen over the course of the past few months "Why are you still single?"

Let me get straight to the answer of why I'm still single.  I took care of my parents because I made them my priority.  I took myself off the dating scene about eight years ago and don't regret doing that.  I will admit that I have gotten out of touch with the current standards of the dating.  For example, I have to ask Do people still date?  Or do you just stalk each other on Facebook or Twitter or Instagram?

Regardless, now eight years later, I'm now back in the game.  Out of dry dock and back in the water.  And the first thing I notice...  I'm finding myself pushing aside the dead fish at the top!  Attention Psych Ward shoppers, we've got a real humdinger at table four.  A swinging single who's back in the game.  That was what I felt was announced to the world when I hit the dating scene with both feet because the needy and the destitute came out of the woodwork.  It was then that I realized I wasn't searching for Mr. Right, but sorting out Mr. What's Left-Over.

Why is dating so hard?  It seemed when I was in college, you could meet someone, hang out, get some pizza, watch a movie, then make out.  But now, it feels like my only choice of meeting someone means constantly going out.  This isn't so bad if I want to cut laundry, housework, and sleep out of my schedule. Once I do meet someone, I have to research them.  Look at Facebook, Twitter, Linked-In, and criminal court records to see if they're wanted in another state. Then comes the coaxing to talk them into even having a drink.  By the end of the evening, I feel like I've done a lot of work with very little in return.  Next time, I think I'll request a deposit that's non-refundable.  I could use the money for a weekend get-away.

Back to the "Why are you still single?" question...  This single question has turned me onto the idea that hope is still there.  If he's asking, I've got to be asking "Hey, does this mean I've got something worth giving?"  The answer is simple.  Yes, I do.  Even though I posted that I welcomed the single life over the dating scene.   (Remember, I'm a crab.  We flow with the tides.)

I've got a lot to offer and it's these times that make me do a self-check... I'm funny, loving, caring, dependable, honest (sometimes too much), loads of self-respect, educated, child-like (not be be confused with childish), diverse interests, and have a long honey-do list -- he can start by helping me paint the kitchen. Hey, I said I was very honest.

Another point for me to remember... Give up on the dating apps and websites.   I found that getting my face out there and shaking hands has gotten me a lot farther than someone's bare chest profile pic.

Anyway, he's out there, somewhere.  Maybe the Fates/God/Allah/Whoever will intervene.  Ha!  Who am I kidding? They probably have their own dating problems!

CSM

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...