Monday, October 5, 2020

The Time Travelers' Club -- Chapter 79: On Things to Come

Griff came downstairs.  "They sent me away.  The old boy is burnt all across his stomach.  It's going to take some time to heal.  At least, that's what I heard."

An hour later, Xavier came downstairs and walked into the front parlor.   Rose, Ari, Griff, and Trenda waited patiently to hear about Albert.

"Albert is gone.  He has left us."

Rose stood up.  "What do you mean? He's dead?"

"No, he left with Dr. Teeter.  It's going to take some real doctoring to get those wounds to heal."  Griff gave Xavier a big hug and then proceed to squeeze him really hard.  "Don't ever scare us like that again."

Several days later, in the evening, Rose and Mrs. Steers sat in the front parlor. Their chairs were pulled up to the fireplace, warming themselves in front of the crackling fire and sipping hot chocolate.  The parlor was dark except for the glow from the fire.

"What a week," said Mrs. Steers.  Her voice quiet and soft. "I can't believe that I met one of the Uncle Matthew's great-great grandchildren."

"What? I didn't hear about this."

"While Sam and I were seeing the building of the pyramid, two young men wearing pink sunglasses showed up.  He and his twin brother are new members of the West Coast chapter."

"Really.  They are related to you?"

"Yes.  My Uncle Matthew had traveled west.  We had no idea whatever happened to him, but apparently, he married and had two children.  These twins are his great-great grandchildren."

"Wow.  That's amazing," said Rose.  "And they're involved with the West Coast Chapter.  Come to think of it, Trenda did say they had two new members."

"They are coming to visit soon.  We have a lot of family history to sort out."

Rose sipped her hot chocolate.  "So... How old are they?"

Mrs. Steers was already onto her.  "Well, from what I gathered they're in their late twenties and would probably prefer Xavier's company more..."  Mrs. Steers gave her a look that said, "If you know what I mean."

Rose sighed.  "Always my luck."

For the first time in the past few days, Rose saw Mrs. Steers smile.  Rose took a sip and turned to her.  "Well, Lottie, what's your thoughts? Are we doing the right thing about Sam?  I haven't seen him since."

Mrs. Steers shook her head, still staring at the fire.  Wrapping her hands around her mug, she took a quick drink, before answering.

"I haven't either.  He's been very distant."  Mrs. Steers was concerned, and her expression showed it.  "I hope so.  When I first meet him, he was still grieving over the death of his Father.  I worry he's not strong enough physically and mentally, but his abilities to use the incantations are remarkable.   Very remarkable.  The best I've seen ever. He wound-up one mighty orb when you were teaching him.  He's going to need a lot of practice and attention.  You will be perfect for him."

"I wouldn't worry too much.  Have you taken care of all the paperwork, especially the will?   We want to make sure that Sam is taken care of."

"Yes," said Mrs. Steers.  "I met with the council's lawyer and took care of everything.  Poor boy.  I hate to think what this has done to him.   He'll need a lot of support."

Rose assured her.  "Don't fret over it.  The council is fully aware.  The Doctor has got to have at least one weakness.  If only we could learn what it was, Sam would be able to play on that.  I just hope Sam can do it."   Rose drank from her mug.

Mrs. Steers glanced over at her.  "When we get there, I know he will be there.  He'll either follow or be waiting.  We're not sure if he knows yet exactly where the cave is or not.  I think he'll find out.  I have to admit I don't think we know for sure.  There may be someone in a club leaking information, but we're not sure."

"I have my suspicions," said Mr. Steers.

"Really?"

"Yes, but I have no proof. I’ll let you know later."  Mrs. Steers stared at the fire.  "Do you think he will be able to get in?"

Rose shrugged her shoulders.  "We can only hope.  Your research, my dear, was flawless.  The International Council went over it several times.   They were convinced.  Sam is our biggest hope ever.   No one else seems to have his abilities."

They snuggled back into their chairs.

1 comment:

  1. Exciting your leading the story in several possible directions!

    ReplyDelete

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...