Sunday, February 19, 2023

Alford Tales -- Married Life

Margaret and John Alford lived in Monroe County, Virginia (now West Virginia).  John's parents had moved there when John was young, but later returned to Rockingham County to marry.  Many people today believe in the myth that everyone married when young, like around 17 or 18.  But that is a myth.  Many records show that people married later, in their mid-20s.

Stay tuned for the next posts when I finally get around to the murder of Henry Alford.

For now enjoy "Married Life"

*******

Mr. Alford and I waited to get married.  I was not about to marry just for the sake of getting married.  Mr. Alford's family lived in Rockingham for several years before moving down to Monroe.  We met when we were young at Mr. Ellis' school.

I remember his Pa, John, visiting my Pa, Henry. And when my Pa died,  Mr. and Mrs. Alford helped our family.  Eventually my Mama married John Alford, an Irishman,  For a spell, we had three John Alford in Rockingham County -- my father-in-law, my husband, and my Mama's second husband.

My Mama's grandparents had no choice in their marriage. Practical reasons, that is why they were married.  Reasonable fortune, liveliness of manner, and a gentle wit.  That is why Mr. Alford and I got married.  He told me of his nice cabin and farm and a wit that I enjoy.  I offered him a good meal and shining piety and trust.  And also a fine ability to stitch and knit.

Mr. and Mrs. Alford, Mr. Alford's parents, had married for a similar reason.  She came with a dowry that he couldn't refuse.  She expected him to protect her out here on the frontier.  At the time, Monroe County was covered in dense forest and land had to be cleared.  And Mr. Alford's small fortune with her dowry helped to create prospects for them in a new county.  Although, I think it may have been her ability to provide a good meal as well as a fine household. 

Now, my Mama married for convenience.  When my Pa passed, my Mama and us were left without much.  Mr. Alford of Ireland offered a home and was a man of good profession. He had a useful trade which we all learned.  I learned to knit and sew finery.  Although not a blood family, he treated us like his own.  Mr. Alford of Ireland was a weaver and known for his trade in Rockingham and my Mama knew that this would be a useful trade for our future prospects in marriage.

When Mr. Alford came to visit, he would often bring news of friends and family from the west.  We would walk and speak of concerned news like I would do with my friends.  I knitted him a pair of mittens in wool, dyed in cochineal and indigo.  Of course, I knitted many a fancy for many a people in Rockingham.  Mr. Alford was most appreciative.  Upon visit, he had trade for new pins and presented them to me.  I made him a new scarf for his next visit.  It was a days ride to Monroe County. To Wolf's Creek where Mr. Alford would take me to live.

Even though, Mr. Alford the Irishman did not provide money for the bond, he and Mama did give us blankets and a fine quilt.  We would need them for the winter. Unlike some, we chose our family.  I remember a few wives who intentionally let the child go with the help of a midwife.  Often afraid a husband would leave is the family grew too large to support.  I would lose my first child, but God gave us our first boy. In 1801. Who we agreed to name Robert after my brother who had helped us marry.  The burden of bringing a child into the world is not an easy one to carry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...