Sunday, February 12, 2023

Alford Tales -- My Wedding

 Margaret tells of her wedding.  Today, when we say wedding, we think of churches, white gowns, a procession, fancy dinners, a huge cake, and thousands of dollars flying out of some father's pocket.  Well, maybe Margaret might influence our thinking and return to something simpler.

This week's tale is My Wedding.

******

I was a strong minded woman for my time.  I was going to be spinster, but I decided that Mr. Alford would suit me.  He would allow me to read, write, and perhaps have a say if he wanted me to keep a clean house and fix him good meals.

I got married on the 16th day of October in the year of our Lord 1799.  Just a few months before the start of a new century.  And just a few months before our President would be called to be with our Lord in Heaven after he led our new nation as our first President. I had seen him once when he rode through Harrisonburg.  We had heard of him coming to see our new county.

I remember it well.  John and Mama took us all to see him as he visited with all the men.  Mama told me about how My Pa had wanted to go fight under him, but he never made it beyond the county to do so.  My Pa's name was Henry.  I can see him when I think about him, but that was long ago.  And when time came for me to wed, I made it clear who My Pa was.

Mr. Alford was born in Rockingham County but his parents and his sisters and brothers moved to Monroe County.  But kinship was important to all Alfords.  Family wasn't just by blood.  Now Mr. Alford was a year old that me.  Being born in 1772.  His father was also John.  Mother Jane.  They had a hard time keeping the John Alfords separated.  The man my Mama had married was also John, but he came from Ireland.  Mr. Alford's father was born in Virginia.

Mr. Alford came back to visit relations here in Rockingham County several times.  He would stop by and visit with us.  I was going on my twenty-first year and J my Mama and John began to worry that I might not find a man to marry me to.  Until one day, Mr. Alford stopped by for a visit and it was suggested that perhaps we should.  He being just a year older, but men could be spared the title spinster.  

So, Mr. Alford came back we few days before our blessed day.  John, my Mama's second husband, did not approve and refused to give a dowry nor be a part.  To which I was find with.  Him being an old bastard for being that way about it.  My sister's husband Abraham Funk came forward and arranged the bond.  Mr. Alford paid one hundred and fifty dollars to promise that he would marry me.  And he did. And I made sure that it was clear that I was the daughter of Henry Alford.  Written on the paper the bond was printed on.  My brother Robert swore to my age to our Justice of the Peace, Mr. Harrison.  I remember Mr. Harrison noting that he wished My Pa had been there that day to see his only daughter marry.  Mama remained silent.  And that same day, Minister Walsh joined us before God.

I wore my best dress.  It was a printed blue calico with a green dot pattern. John had traded for the calico.  Enough for a dress in trade for a wool blanket.  After we were wed, Mama, Eliza, and Sarah had prepared a meal for celebration.  We had pumpkin pie, a turkey, chicken, stewed pears, and oranges.  Which were also made into an orange pudding.  And dancing.  A fine celebration.

Mr. Alford and I stayed with my sister Sarah and her husband, Mr. Funk, for the night before the next day we traveled to Monroe County.  The day was cold but sunny.  I remember saying good bye to my family.  To be honest, I think John was glad to see me go.  Of course, some family came to Monroe County and were nearby. It was comforting to have others around who remembered My Pa.  I should say Our Pa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...