Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Researching Jack

Jack the Ripper has always fascinated me.  Not because he killed innocent women, but because his true identity was never discovered.  Many theories exist about who he was, but nothing 100%.

So, when Sam came to life, we naturally had something in common -- we both like unsolved mysteries.  And like Sam, I had to read about Jack and his victims.   I found several great books at the library and one incredible website -- Casebook: Jack the Ripper.   For my book, I read a lot about Jack.  More than I really needed to know.   For Sam, he only had to write a two-to-three page report for his history class.  (I think I was luckier.)

Creating the past was the hardest part of writing.   What was London like in 1886?   Did is smell bad?   What were the living conditions like in Whitechapel?  Hopefully, I gave enough flavor to the time and place. 

At this time, I am eagerly waiting for the second half of my book to come back from my volunteer editors.  I also eagerly await their comments and overall thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...