Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A Hard Road to Travel -- Part 4

A Hard Road to Travel -- Part 4

February 22
Indianapolis, Indiana
Got you letter this morning -- Yeah, I see what you mean about improved service.   I ran into the postman and he said the government's back involved with the postal service.    Let's hope they can stick with it.   If the system gets more regular, I will try to write every week.   Let's just hope we can get over this whole mess.
I also have some other good news.   Harry got a letter from IU and they accepted him.  He's going to be studying engineering.   They have re-started the department and have the best profs available.   He also got to see a presentation on the big quake.  He was telling us all about it and brought home a lot of information.   I was amazed about the arch.   I thought for sure it would have fallen, but the way the earth moved, it literally dropped straight down and is now only about 20 feet high out of the water.  I couldn't imagine.
Well, gotta go.
Love, Sal
*****
February 27
Keene, New Hampshire
All is well here.   Great to hear about Harry.  Bert and I sent the applications -- all completed.  Now we just have to wait and hear.   I don't think we will have much of a problem getting there.   Remember when we could just travel, or move for that fact, anywhere in the country.  And now we have to apply to move into a city!  Well, at least, the biggest part of the country still exists.  I wonder if we will get Alaska back from the Chinese?   And then there's Texas or what's left of it.   I hear nobody can get in.   We got a very long letter from Bert's cousins.  They left Amarillo in the middle of the night and made it to Rapid City, South Dakota in about a week.   Apparently, on the other side of the Mississippi lakes, as you call them, life isn't too bad.  The quake damage isn't as bad.    They sent an article from the Rapid City newspaper summing up what's going on there.  I''ve enclosed it for you guys.  
Well, gotta go.   XOXOXO
M

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...