Friday, August 31, 2012

What I've learned along the way

Four years ago, this month, I laid in bed wondering where I wanted my life to go.  The lack of creativity in my life made me re-evaluate my current path at the time.

Now, with my first book, I look back and realize what a trip it has been.

First, I wrote, regardless of my lack of self-trust.   My first draft was no more than a few paragraphs with weak characters and a thin plot.  I questioned my abilities and craftsmanship.   I had no formal training as a writer and no idea how the whole process worked.  At first, I decided on a single volume, but then the story grew, the cast of players expanded, and an entire sub-plot popped, then blossomed.  From there...

Second, my confidence grew.  The paragraphs, dialogue, descriptions formed into pages and chapters.  The story flowed together.  I began a self-structured coursework of reading about writing. 
  1. Stephen King's On Writing topped the list.  The best of the bunch.   King writes his autobiography, then provides a "writer's toolbox," and last, provide the basics in "look here's how to write" section.
  2. Anne Lamott's Bird By Bird offered a look at a writer's life.
  3. William Noble Show, Don't Tell: A Writer's Guide offers numerous ways of showing and telling.  The infamous "show, don't tell" haunts writers like naked pictures of the prince taunting the queen.  To this moment, I struggle with "show, don't tell."   What does it mean?   How much do I do?  Do I show everything?  
  4. Roy Peter Clark's Writing Tools: 50 Essential Strategies for Every Writer.  Love it!  Clark gets to the point in each chapter.
Third, I struggled with the actual writing.   Discipline!   I disciplines myself to write as the same time as many days possible.  I found that from 7:30 p.m. to 10ish p.m. to be the perfect time.  I found my creative peak to be the highest.

Forth, I read.  Fiction -- kids and adult.   Most of the time, I would read only a few chapters.   My mission involved looking at writer's style, composition, description.

Fifth, I did my research.  London 1886 -- what was it like?   Jack the Ripper -- what are the facts?   I read. I looked. I took notes.  I selected what would be useful and what wouldn't.   I found many great books at my local library.

Sixth, I wrote, read, revised, and repeated.   I selected seven readers who offered opinions and suggestions.

Seventh, I read the entire manuscript aloud.  From page one, word one to the last page, last word.  The whole "read-aloud" took three weeks.  IT WAS WORTH IT!   I found numerous problems, typos, grammatical errors.   I recommend taking the time to read aloud.

Eighth, I stopped.  After reading aloud, I stopped.  I said "Fini!"  Otherwise, I would continue the sixth point over and over and over...   At some point, I made up my mind that this was it.   Love for what it is right now.

Those eight points brought me to where I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...