Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Many Happy Birthdays!

August is an important event month for me.  First, my parents would have celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary.  My grandmother's birthday is August 17 (she would be 97).  My mother's birthday was August 10 (she would be 78).   And of course, today -- August 15 -- Julia Child. 

Since I was young, Julia fascinated me.   She challenged America to learn and enjoy cooking as well as to have no fear.  Several years ago, I ate a local restaurant that gave out "fortune pull-tabs."   You pulled the tab open to reveal a quote.  My quote read "I didn't start cooking until I was 32, before that I just ate" and attributed to Julia Child.  

I relate to that quote.  To this day, it remains on my kitchen bulletin board.
I didn't start writing until I was 40, before that I just read.  Hope you don't mind Julia, but you had great influence, not just with your teaching and writing abilities, but also with your choice of words.  I aspire to live up to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...