Monday, August 6, 2012

Sailing into unfamiliar waters

When I starting writing, I never thought of all of the paths I would have to travel.   Oh no!   Just write a book...  Life will be great...   HA!  As Mark Twain or Benjamin Disraeli or whomever said -- "Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics!" 

Right now, I am reading aloud the entire book, making any last changes.   When I finish a chapter, I say "done" and move on to the next one.  Right now, I am just over half way.  Next, the formatting process...  I have to make sure I follow Amazon's rules and Smashwords.   Amazon's format is simple.  Smashwords, which I love already, saves me from formatting for everyone else (B&N, Apple, iTunes).

Next comes getting to know the IRS...   I read about establishing an LLC, getting an EIN, opening a business banking account for any money made with my writing, filling out forms during tax season, deductibles, and non-deductibles...   Will I ever make that much money from these books?

Then, since I have decided to be an indie writer/publisher, come the marketing...  This could be fun.  I've already started this blog and one about The Time Savers Club.    I have other ideas on promotion as well.  Maybe free PDF copies of my book?   Business cards?   Parties?   The list goes on...

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...