Thursday, October 10, 2013

A Few Words about Destiny

Looking back over my life, I began to realize that early on my destinies were set for me from an early age.  During my whole "growing-up" period...

OK, I have to stop there for a moment.  Do we ever really stop growing up?   I don't remember there being anything about completely growing up.   Growing old isn't an option...  I'm sorry, but "growing up" is an option.  Of course, there's a difference between "being child-like" and "being childish."  It's a fine line that you have to walk.  It's a fact.  Use it as you wish.

Anyway, I digress.

During my younger days (that's sounds better), I had shelves packed with books, neatly and tidily organized.  Especially paperbacks.  I've parted with some. Many of them are still with me.   Some well-read with worn spines and bent corners. Others crisp and clean, not because I didn't like them, but because they had better bindings.

When I revisit them, pulling them from the shelves that hang above my closet doors, gently blowing the dust off, I can see the "signs." Signs of my future life.   Rotting masking tape on the lower spine with a faded hand-written number.  I remember organizing them by putting a number on the outside using that masking tape.  As I open the cover of one of the Disney children's series, inside is a blue number written with a felt-tip marker was the corresponding number.   A young librarian in the making...  And now, many years later, I am surrounded by books and DVDs and Cd's and magazines...  Oh my!  It's truly the book/information lover's orgasm. 

The other sign began with a book on the Loch Ness Monster and an episode of Scooby Doo.  I remember reading a thin paperback on Nessie, then, at the age of eight, deciding to write my own book and start a small publishing company in my Mother's sewing room.  At the time, I was totally unaware of copyright law or plagurism as began to basically rewrite the book by hand on old loose-leaf paper and staple them together.  I also "borrowed" the illustrations.  The other half of this story revolved around an episode of Scooby Doo where they gang meets the Addams Family.   Complete with crayoned illustrations, I wrote myself into the episode.   Both have gone with the wind, but the effect lives on.

Becoming a librarian and a writer seemed to written in my stars.  I just hope that the stars also planned on offers to buy the movie rights to my books.

CSM

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...