Thursday, October 10, 2013

Reviewing My Recent Past

The other day, I sat reviewing my recent past, not long past, but back to the late summer.   As you may recall, I posted about what friends mean to me.   Defining a friend vs. an acquaintance.  Getting rid of a person out of my life.  All that jazz from a few posts back.

Well, here I am, a few weeks later.  A vacation has come and gone.  The completion of my second book.  Parting with my childhood home.  The fear of cancer.  You know, just a few minor things...

I still wonder if I did the right thing.  Pushing someone out of my life.  I hated it.  I still hate it.  I've only done it a couple of times before with the same question -- Am I doing the right thing?

Let me say this...  Who the hell knows!  I might have dodged a bullet.  This year has sucked in many ways!  It actually started last September with the death of Uncle Dick, followed by Uncle Ron in December.  In October, a year ago, I sat in the Doctor's office with my Father who looked like a frail old man.   Now that I think back, he didn't even really look like the man I grew up with.  He looked like an old man.  A skinny, bald, no-teeth frail old man who seemed to age over night.
 
Outside the office door, I asked the Doctor. "What's your thoughts?"
He looked past me.  "Six months.  That's my gut feeling."
A year has come and gone since that day. 

And six months it was.  April 15th at 2:30 in the afternoon.

Since then, I've started making new friends and having new experiences.  And personally, I feel great!   Just today, I was at work, minding my own business, when I heard someone humming.  My co-worker turned to me and said "What are you all cheery about?"  It was me.  I was humming.  A simple happy tune.

So, now I sit here wondering "Did I do the right thing by pushing someone out of my life?"

In relation to everything else that has happened, it doesn't matter.  But the real answer is no.  I didn't.  I should never push people away not matter how angry they make me.  In this case, he was there for a reason.   To make me angry.  I haven't been that angry at someone in a long time.  I wasn't just angry over one incident.  I was angry over several incidents over time with the same person.  It had accumulated to the one-last-straw.

I also know that I have moved on to bigger, brighter, and maybe more important adventures.

And so the phoenix life's end and a new one emerges from the ashes.   I feel that way, but every once in a while, I have to review the past to remind myself of where I'm going.

CSM

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...