Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Parental Opposites: Patience and the Lack Of

Mama was the patient, cool-headed kind that would be fair and honest until you really pushed her... in which case, when you reached that point, you better get the hell out of the way because all hell is about to bust loose.  Anyone whoever worked with my Mom I'm sure can tell their own stories.

I never remember my Mom being angry.  Mad, yes, but never angry.  In fact, I don't even remember my Mom ever getting angry.  I've often wondered what it would have been like. She was the silent type.  She held it in.  She never raised her voice.  She did slightly grit her teeth.  But most of all, she remained calm, cool, and collective in general.

My Dad, on the other hand, had a short temper and would fly off the handle.  He had control issues that I'm not sure he ever really managed to... well, control.   His fuse, when lit, wouldn't last long before some dramatic tirade would burst out.  My Dad had so little patience. I am not sure how we put up with him. My parents were married for over 50 years, and how they lasted still amazes me to this day.  

Looking at yourself in the mirror, who do you see?  In my case, I see a mix of my parents.  Apparently, I inherited the calm, cool, and collective spirit for dealing with life in general from my Mom, but then I think I got the rest from my Dad.

Thanks a lot! 

CSM

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...