Tuesday, February 28, 2017

To Trivia I Go... Or What A Group!

Once a week, I hang out with a group of guys and we compete in a brain-testing game of trivia.  I enjoy their company and have been wanting to write about them. I decided it was time.

First comes the disclaimer... I can't write about everyone in the group!  I just don't know everyone that well. So don't be all judgy if you don't read about yourself.  I've decided to write about the ones I know best... Or at least I think I know them... Hmmm... Maybe I don't know them... Maybe they'll become offended by what I write...  Ha!  Oh well. They'll just have to spank me... No wait.... I better rethink that.  Anyway...

Okay, back to the ones I know best...

First, there's this couple I like to think of as Little Cub and Papa Bear.  They are so cute together.  I've known Little Cub the longest; in fact, he was the one that invited me to trivia.  I've seen him go from very heart-broken to finding the love of his life.  However, at trivia, Little Cub can get pretty annoyed when we agree on one answer, then debate it and chose another, then find out we should have gone with the first choice. We really should have listened to Papa Bear...  He knew best when he said Monet. I can picture this pair together, snuggled up on the couch, watching a zombie-infested world go by.  They're so in love.  They make me feel hopeful that I will find that someone who will think of me more than just a "wham bam thank ya ma'am".

Now there is this one guy...  All I can say about him is...  He can be such a Gloomy Gus!  Look here Gus... Here's what I've got to say to you. "Be happy.  Don't be bitter. You're attractive. You have friends who care about you.  And yes, we know you're a loner.  But don't be so hard on yourself. Just remember you make other people hard..."  Or at least that's what I overheard. He reminds me that everyone has walked rough paths and we need kindness and lots of beer.

Of course, I can't forget the one I think of as "The Matriarch."  He reminds me of the type who sits and watches and evaluates.  You know like Maggie Smith on Downton Abbey.  I could see him in one of her big brimmed hats. With his white beard.  Sipping tea. I'm sure he would have nothing but nice things to say... Maybe. And don't even get him started on politics. He's pointed out that "orange" is truly the new black...  Or I should say "black-hearted." That's why I like him. His views encourage me to keep in touch with what's going on in the world.  And that there's a few things that after you've touched them, you'd better go and wash your hands.

I've heard of couples where one is outgoing and the other is quiet.  There's a pair that makes me think that is true.  And it appears to be the case here. One seems to be introverted.  For some reason, I regard him as a wise sage. I suspect if I needed advice on anything, he should be my first choice to ask. His partner, on the other hand, appears to be the extrovert.  Always smiling.  Always laughing. And always looking kind of... hot...  Well, to be honest they're both hot.  Okay, I'll be even more honest if they wanted to, I'd let them "take me down and pass me around"... I'd be happy to be their 99th bottle of beer on the wall...  Hey, I've got to stir in a little controversy into this.  They show me that great relationships do happen and that I shouldn't give up hope. And periodically check the expiration dates on "the supplies" in the night stand drawer.

Well, my post has met its limit and here I must stop. So much more I could write.  Maybe next blog post...

CSM

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...