Thursday, May 31, 2012

Gardening and A Favorite Book about Writing

When I began this blog, it blossomed from an idea as a place to track the progress of my first book.   Up to this point, the shy bloom has only opened a minuscule amount, hardly enough to view its bright colors, fresh fragrance, and full extent.   I have provided a few petals of my manuscript, but also discovered that other shoots emerged and formed buds.
My manuscript is not the only blossom I am nurturing, fearing it will shrivel up and die.  My garden is expanding, growing, and multiplying.  I have pulled up raw unedited short stories like turnips and potatoes.  You have to clean them before you eat them.  General comments sprouted.  Tidbits about history, places, ideas sprung up like weeds, between cracks.
An realization came to me the other day.   I have spent time plowing, nurturing, watering, tending, weeding, and admiring for almost three years on becoming a writer.   And I feel that now I can put that word behind my name at the top of this blog. 
During this process, I have had to relearn how to write, the basic sentence structure, build a better vocabulary, read, re-read, write no matter what, and dig a spot where I can plant myself to do it.
Along the way, I have picked up several books about writing.  Books by writers about writing.  Books about style, grammar, and vocabulary.  My journal has been a learning experience.
One book was Stephen King's On Writing.  After reading a library copy, I had to own it.   I tracked one down at the Half-Price Bookstore and grabbed from the shelf.  Now, I can take a highlighter and sticky notes to it.  The first half is an autobiography of King's interesting life.  The second two sections -- The Toolbox and On Writing -- are fantastic.   I learned the basics.  King spills it out.  Here's what I did and you should, too, if you want to be a published writer.   I highly recommend it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...