Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Connecting with Your Disconnect

One of my biggest fears in writing is grammar and style.  One website I like is Guide to Grammar and Writing.   Check it out when you get a chance.
The second fear is accuracy in history.  Being a history major in college was helpful to a point.  It's knowing how to research that makes creating a great historical scene important.   (Loving history helps as well).   I wish I have one magic database, but I don't.   Historical research requires patience and perseverance.   Spending hours reading newspapers, books written during the time you are creating, and using images (in particular photographs if it is post-1840s) are the best, in my opinion.  
Did they have streetlamps in 1880s London?   I had to find out.  If they did, were they gas, electric, both?   I had to dig for that.   Ah, the fun stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...