Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The New Year

I don't make New Year's resolutions.  I don't see the point.  Life doesn't come to a halt at the stroke of midnight on December 31st.   On January 1st, I got up, took a shower, ate lunch, and went on.  Just like I did last New Year's Day.

Will I diet and loose that extra 20 lbs?
Will I exercise every day for at least 30 minutes?
Will I write eveyday, at least 1,000 words down?
Will I aim for a number of pages?

Maybe.

It's not about resolutions.  It's about making realistic goals.  I prefer to make short-term goals that will have bigger effects. You have to keep moving.   My first book is almost ready to go out into the world.  That has been the most rewarding experience and transformation that I have gone through in a LONG time.  I actually feel like I have accomplished something.  I'm excited and now working on book two... and three... and other books... and some short stories.   Writing has created a whole new road.   It will be a rough road, but still one I think is worth the trip.

I truly feel alive again.

I am looking forward to 2013... despite the fact that the number 13 is involved.

Every year, right after New Year's, the winter depression sits in.   In the past, I've spent a lot of time coming up with a list of to-dos.  Maybe 20 to 25 things I want to do.  One year I listed "learn to make bread."   Did I learn how to make bread?  No.   Another list had "Go to the movies once per month."  Did I go each month?  No.

The bottom line -- I took on too much.  So, it's time to let to notion go.

One idea that has lasted was to name the up-coming year.   I felt like it gave me an overall attitude about the coming 12 months.  So, this December, I decided a title for the year 2013 -- The Year of Moving Forward.

I recently gave myself an attitude make-over.   Let go of the old values, ideas, and preconceived notions.   First, my job is only a job.  It pays the bills.  Stuff is only stuff.  That sits around, draws dust, and I have to clean.  Negative thoughts for the most part are nothing.  I sit bad and wrote a book.  That's an accomplishment.  I know people who call themselves writers, but I don't see their names on book covers.

Mine is.   And you will see it soon.

My new focus is writing.  My characters and their stories are awaking and I can summon them up in my head with just a few short paragraphs and off we go.  I swear the other day I actually saw Sam, Rose, and Mrs. Steers as they talked in her front parlor!  It was clear as if I were there myself.

So, move over sun and give me some sky...  I've got me some wings I'm eager to try...   I'm making 2013 one hell of a year!

CSM 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...