Thursday, January 31, 2013

Watching the World Go By

I think one of the most interesting aspects of writing is when you discovered about yourself.

Mine -- I like to people watch.

I have the perfect venue to do it.  Secretly recording their actions, moves, mannerisms, interactions.   I wouldn't call myself a voyeur, mainly because don't those people usually watch for some... well... different desire.

I just sit back and watch.  It's amazing what people will do in public...  Pick their nose, belch, scratch their crotch...  Yes, that's the unpleasant stuff, but they also laugh, talk about the world, read, stare at electronic devices like they're in another world and nobody else exists.  (Now there's a topic I should write something about... It grinds my gears.)

I find myself wanting to grab people's phones and see what exactly are they doing. 
Are they texting someone to say they'll be late for dinner? 
Are they texting to see what's for dinner? 
Are they texting to find out if they need to pick up dinner? 
Will they even meet for dinner?

Have we become overly obsessed with our electronic equipment and media?  I don't know, but it seems to be something that I observe as I watch the world go by.

I once overheard an man complain about the library's computers being down and he couldn't get on the Internet.  He looked to be about 50s-ish.   I couldn't help think to myself (and I so did want to ask him) "You look like you're about 50.  The Internet has only been around since the 90s.  What did you do before there was so much access to it?

This leads to yet a whole other discussion and topic of study.  Maybe another day.  Right now, I'm too busy people-watching.   We're so interesting...

CSM

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...