Monday, June 30, 2014

My Inner Circle

The older I get, the more like my Mother I become.  I just don't feel like putting up with people I don't click with.  And I am happy to say that I don't have to, because I can just walk away. Nancy Sinatra sang it best about her boots -- they're made for walking. Usually I'm bitching about people who annoy me, but lately I've turned it around and found the humor in those interactions, but it's time for me to give praise to the my nearest and dearest.

When I think about them, I see a group of diverse personalities with interesting personal history, interesting lives, and amazing stories. With that said, my circle of friends are a canister of mixed nuts that I hold dear. Some are a little salty, some roasted, and some plain. Not matter, I love that small inner circle. Not many people have made it to my inner circle.  But if we click, I'll love you forever and try my best to be there when you call.  I've known most of them since I moved to the big city and have added very few since then into my inner circle. Hey, what can I say.  I'm selective.

Among the inner circle, to name a few, I have a railroader, a Coloradan, a curator, a singer, a scotch-lover, an Iowan, a cancer-fighter, a survivor, a loner, a weirdo...  Just to name a few.

Each and everyone of these friends have had some influence on my life.  They helped me with their various levels of advice when I needed to make both simple and rough choices. They were there when I needed a soft shoulder to cry on, an ear to bend, a leg to stand on, a mouth to feed, and various other body parts to personal to mention.  We have our differences.  We may annoy each other at times.  We may not speak for weeks, not because of a squabble, but simply because of our hectic lives.

When we do meet, we have our own special blend of aromatic spices that tickle our noses and dance on our palates.  A compliment of flavors that blend together into a savory feast that will warm our stomachs... Yes, we eat out a lot!  It's the most common thread we have -- food.  No wonder I'm overweight.  But then I think of the mental health benefits.  What could be more fun than being with great friends over a warm meal.

I feel lucky to have them. Bless them all.

CSM

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...