Friday, December 2, 2016

Change, Please! Or... Could I Get Four Quarters for the Meter?

I'm going through the change again.  I've longed for it.  It is in my reach.  Very soon, I will make a major change.  Moving from one job to another.  I cannot tell you how long I have waited. Sometimes I thought it would never come.  And here it is.  But I'm not here to talk about my career move.  The real change that I want to write about is the change in my attitude towards everything else.

A few months ago, I made a decision to focus on three goals.  If it didn't pertain to those three goals, it would be swept off to the side.  (Except for housework. I insist on cleanliness.)  Those three goals have set the tone for the adjustment of my attitude towards life.  And it has changed me.  I am not the same person I was at the beginning of the year.  Once I set those three goals in place, focused my attention on them, all else became irrelevant.

I focused on only them. That was the first key.

I have to stop and point something out.  These are long term goals. You know like losing weight.  I set out to lose fifty pounds. Which I did... over and over, but once I crunched the numbers it was well over fifty pounds.  Somehow the scales don't seem to care and remind me I still weigh the same.

Back to the keys of this change.  Next, I pushed away the negative.  That was the second key.  I pushed away consistently annoying people.  I packed up unwanted stuff in my apartment and got rid of it.  Stuff can bring about negativity.  Think about moving it all.  The packing, hauling, unpacking, dust, bugs, the money you'll find that you thought you lost, but fell between the stacks and got covered up. I also got rid of negative thoughts.  Don't get mad, be glad. I was glad that I found that $50 that I stashed away... and then hid elsewhere and now I can't find it.  That is a little negative, but then I think about how I'll feel when I find it again.  And voila, I'm happy.

And the next key was I downed a couple of bottles of Sangria.  That was just for the hell of it.

And the final key, I committed to my three goals. If I truly want to meet these goals, I would find ways to make it happen. (Sometimes through trial and error.) Make sure, however, that they are what you really want.  This is where your spiritual journeys, meditations, vision boards, peyote-induced hallucinations, Tarot card reading, dream interpretations, self-explorations using yam-based lubes and whatever else come into play.

You HAVE to know what your heart truly desires and not be lured by false dreams, tainted hopes, and overblown expectations.  Know the difference between love and lust.  And be prepared to change when you realize they are not the goals you really want.

Find your connections by getting lost. Not literally lost... like in the woods or in some abandoned amusement park where a serial killer lives.  Think along the lines of... say... going to a nudist camp. Buck-ass naked with a bunch of other naked people. Questioning whether you can do it.  Letting it all hang out.  Flapping in the breeze.  Worrying that really was poison ivy.  Are you saying as you read this "Hell no! I'm not letting it all hang out."  Well, think again.

The point isn't to get physically naked (unless that is something you want to try); it's to do something that you've never done before.  Break away from the rut.  Yes, it's hard to get out of that rut.  Yes, you're used to it.  And damn, that was poison ivy and you want to itch that spot but don't because it will spread further...

Aha!  To spread further.  Once you've got the confidence and you do it, you may never view yourself the same way again.  And you confidence spreads further and you begin to see yourself as someone different. Does that mean you have to keep going to that nudist camp.  No.  You simply set out to challenge yourself and found that it didn't change you.  Other than your new found fear of poison ivy in places you can't see.

And please, believe me, I know. I was there and I challenged myself to do things I have never done before.  Some I have done again.  Some I will never, ever ever, do again.  But I tried. And have some left over calamine lotion in case there's more poison ivy.

The three keys to my success intersected perfectly, because I wanted them to. What is that they call it when everything intersects and it aligns beautifully?

Oh yes, The Bermuda Triangle.

CSM



No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...